Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are canoes or paddleboat big enough to fish from lol? Like the ones from Boulder Res, or Horsetooth? :-[

I don't know, or think I can operate an actual fishing boat. Is it hard to paddle a canoe? I think I can definitely operate a paddleboat haha. But I'm curious, sorry if that's a stupid question, I never canoe before and paddleboat is a different story... only at amusement parks.

Is there a limit to how far in the Res you can go? Anything else I should know?

I don't know anymore, I really wanted to try but after my mom said how stupid I am for wanting to boat and how dangerous it is I got chickened out and don't know if I wanna try anymore... :-\ I hate this, everytime she says something like that when I want to try something I get chicken out, I don't have the guts to do anything!!! :'(

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Canoes are great, if you are alone just sit in the middle. Easy enough to operate, and they start every time :D. Be smart, follow the shoreline, and wear a life jacket. Canoes and other small boats can be great for stealth in small/skinny water. Lakes like bear creek, evergreen, and quincy can be alot of fun. If you are really worried about tipping over wait till warmer weather, put a leash on your gear, wear a life jacket, and the worst thing that happens is you go for a swim!

I don't know about the rental parts but I am sure you can find something, even if it is off the lake.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Dont let anyone talk you outta trying new stuff.

It is fun but it can be damgerous.
Try going with someone with experience if possible.
Try a small pond first.

Wear a life vest.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There is a wealth of information from Paddle.net on fishing from canoes or kayaks.
We have bought two canoes from CanoeColorado.com which is located in Denver. You can demo there stuff and they will fit paddles to your size. They have several overnight trips.
I often paddle 11 Mile and Pueblo. Its not the size of the lake, its the wind that you have to plan for.
Don't buy a cheap boat, they are heavy and they don't preform as well.
A good boat will last decades.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool I'll rethink about it now... I might try it out at Boulder Reservoir, I don't think the rentals open until late May so I have plenty of time. I haven't been to a reservoir for a long long long time.

I'm guessing I should go to local recreation center and jump off the diving board and make sure I still know how to swim even if I'm gonna be wearing a life jacket. :D

I'm not actually buying a boat, I'm just gonna rent one from the marinas in the reservoirs, hopefully their stuff will be okay... ;D

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Peterson and Fort Carson had some rental canoes for military.
You might be able to work a deal with someone on line to try one out.
We used to rent from both bases and liked Petersons canoes better.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Sashimi said:
I don't know anymore, I really wanted to try but after my mom said how stupid I am for wanting to boat and how dangerous it is I got chickened out and don't know if I wanna try anymore... :-\ I hate this, everytime she says something like that when I want to try something I get chicken out, I don't have the guts to do anything!!! :'(
Baloney!! You go, Girl!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts