Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend at Glendo I caught alot of fish (not walleye unfortunately) slabbing jigging spoons. But I missed a ton of strikes also! Most Jigging spoons like Hopkins come from the factory with mediocre hooks at best. What what be a good replacement treble?

My smaller Buckshot and Rocker minnows have light wire hooks, but the bigger spoons like the Hopkins have inferior hooks.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Any of the top brands will be way better than what comes with the Hopkins spoon-Gammi's, Owner, Excalibur Rotating trebles (a favorite of mine). I don't know why lure makers don't put a good hook on their lures-it would only raise the cost a little.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
you could always get a file or a hook sharpening tool. I have one of those tools that strips line from your reel that also has a stone on top that will sharpen your hooks.

IMO

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
do any of you like to switch to the bright red trebles?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the only bad thing is most new hooks have a coating on them and if you sharpen them you ruin the hook

so look at the package before you sharpen your hooks

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
a little WD40 will keep them from rusting after you sharpen the coating away but you gotta do it every time some folks even use WD40 as an attractant

1 - 8 of 8 Posts