Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished one of my favorite smallie ponds yesterday. Action was far from hot but I managed to get a handful of bites and leave catching a mixed bag of smallies and small largemouth.

I caught all the LM's on jerkbaits and each one I caught hit within a few feet from shore. They were only 12-13 inches nothing to write home about but still fun.

The smallies all came on my drop/drag shot set up. Basically it's a drop shot rig with a tube jig replacing the drop shot weight. I prefer using smaller offset worm hooks with this set up and either gulp minnows or power minnows. The offset worm hook does take away a bit of action from the minnow but the minnows last longer this way and I'm not playing around with dinks all day. I'll still hook a few dinks from time to time but not nearly as much when I started using this rig with typical drop shot hooks.

Basically I'll drag the tube a few feet then put a minimal amount of movement in my rod tip to get that minnow to dance. In my opinion less is more... I know some guys shake the hell out of their drop shot rigs, I don't.

The big smallie came dragging this rig past ambush points near structure. The way I try to explain it to guys new to bass fishing is if you were going to hide somewhere to jump out and scare the **** out of a sibling that's an ambush point. With that in mind scan the water and find those ambush points and you'll eventually find fish.

All fish were promptly released after a pic or two.

Tight lines,
Eric

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I really like your modified drop shot rig!

The one LMB I caught this weekend ambushed my worm as I was finessing it right by a large downed log feet from shore. Such a thrill when you're finessing and they attack it!

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Right on Eric, great report and THX for sharing!!!

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I'd love to see more reports in here. Thanks for sharing. You might just have inspired to wet a line tomorrow.

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Great looking smallie for sure!!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Nice pics and fisheez, DD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts