Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Pa and I went on our trip :cool:

We were invited to fish the family ranch(Yampa Valley) one last time before the place swapped owners :(

The ranch had been in the family for over 117 yrs but none of their grand children wanted to be a rancher so had to be sold.

It was beautiful fall up there. Trees in full color, elk bugling in the morning, fresh bear scat in the road each drive in, fish were willing to be caught, could not ask for more. (Well, would be nice if it was staying with the family)

We spent two days fishing the ranch and had a blast. Did not find the monsters but a lot of eager fish. Started out each day with streamers followed by dries and finish with some glorified bobber fishing. Largest fish might have gone 20". All rainbows and browns. First day was small fish day with the second day on a different section of the river being the big fish section.

It was sad walking the the hay fields where I spent many Aug months putting up hay the old way, using a stacker system. No bales O hay here (at least back when I was there) They now put hay up with the big round bales.

Couple more pics of the ranch...

This place will be missed for sure.

From there we went into WY to fish the North Platte. We hired a guide to float the Grey Reef section, we put in below Grey Reef and floated to Lusby. (Thanks to Oyey for the recommendation of our guide Theo Anest.) Would highly recommend Theo for anyone looking to hire a guide in that area.

The water level dropped from 1000cfs to 500cfs within a day or two of us arriving so it made it a little difficult finding fish but Theo worked hard on the oars to keep us in the fish. The fish(rainbows) are some of the hardest fighting fish I have come across(trout at least). Did not hook into any huge fish but several in the 16-18" range. I do not recall landing anything but rainbows. Sorry no pics were taken.

We fished another section of the Platte on our own just below one of the dams. There are too many damn dams to keep track of there. That place was incredible. Beautiful scenery and some more of the those awesome fighting bo-bo's. Again no monster fish landed but some great action on size 18 dries and nymphs. BTW we were using 3-4x tippet :eek: what fun!

After dropping dad off at his house I headed to the White River for more fishin.
Only fished in town for a few hrs. I started out with dries then switched to a steamer. Did well with both and managed not to catch 1 white fish ??? How's that happen there?

Once I got home and got a good night sleep in my own bed I headed towards Gunny to get some salmon action. On the way up all pull outs were taken from the inlet of Blue Mesa to Almont. Crazy I thought. I guess I need to get up earlier next time. I was in Gunny by 0700 and 28 degrees F. I did manage to squeeze in at a local fishin hole but did not do so well at catching fish in a legitimate fashion. A lot of Alabama French Kissing, as I like to call foul hooking, was the technique for the day.

Still a decent day on the water.

Spent a couple of nights in Almont to fish the C-n-R section of the Taylor. First day was pretty good> Largest fish was about 22-23" and a couple that got away that I wish I would have landed. They were not the 8+ pounders but were very healthy lookin. But I did manage a personal best for the smallest fish I have landed out of that river....

This trip is what I needed. It was very chill and no pressure. Never felt like we were rushing to get somewhere or to leave a spot. I returned to work relaxed and satisfied( not satisfied that I had to return to work, I tried to win the Powerball) but left the vacation feeling I did what I wanted with who I wanted and where I wanted.

Can not ask for more.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Man, nice report, and great pictures!

That is a shame about the family ranch... :-[

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Nice report CF, glad you got some fish.

Holy cow that would stink bad to have a ranch like that owned by family and then see it get sold off.

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Wow great pics thanks for sharing!

I hope you put grababrewski's pb brown trout back or he'll be pissed!

·
Registered
259 Posts
To have a ranch in the Yampa Valley in your family tree would be freakin sweet. I hope the "stupid" grandkids that passed up the opportunity of many lifetimes are "stupid" rich due to the sale. Really, to each their own. 117 years is a hell of a long time to keep a property in the family. I've heard a quote "farms or ranches last 3 generations the first works their ass off to purchase the farm, the second generation works their ass off to keep it up, and the third works their ass off to sell it"
I love the pic of the old hay stacker, looks like a really nice part of the valley!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Great pics, I can't imagine losing a ranch like that. I felt bad when my Pa sold our cabin in northern Minnesota. Thanks for the story.

Z that brown was on private land so it doesn't bother me at all!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It is a shame about the ranch being sold. There was a lot more "stuff" going on behind the scenes that pushed the selling sooner than later. It had been a great run for the ranch, it ran it self clear and free for the last 30- 40 yrs maybe longer, no debt what so ever. It was a good business but as my cousin (technically 2nd cousin) said all dynasties end at some point. The memories will always be there. I not only helped put up hay but helped brand cattle and eat my great aunt's cooking. She is the best cook I have come across. No fancy stuff just good ole fashioned home cooking. (Never could cook my steak the way I wanted, well done! :smile: They all thought I was ruining it. I have come around a bit since then and can now eat my steak med to med well..:smile: )Nothing from a box, all from scratch. Her french bread was incredible.

When my great uncle was alive he would feed the cattle in the winter with a team of horses every day, two to three times a day. That was up until he passed away in the field feeding his cattle in the mid 1990's. Never wanted to do it any other way, just his way. A real cowboy. Maybe the last of them. He lived his whole life in that valley. The house in the pic was the home he lived in for 50+/- yrs with his wife which was about 1/2 mile from the house he was born in which was about 1/2 mile from the hay field he died in doing what he loved. Hope we can all say that we died doing what we loved.

Z-man,

That brown is still alive to fight another day :smile:

Grababrewski,

FYI that brown came off public waters and is waiting for you!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Wow, sweeet report. I love the scenery pics and the stories of fishing. Sucks about the ranch, man..

I am glad you had fun with Theo, he's a good dude who truly loves being a guide. He is telling me to get up there in November and I might just do that.

Crazy vacation, sounds like it was just what the Doc ordered.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
Too bad, it's a beautiful ranch that i'm sure we'd all have loved to grow up on. I know I would have.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
That is one hell of a fishing trip! Streamers and dries, that's the life. Theo is good peoples for sure. Oyey if you go in November, just dodge the turnover. Chuck and I had a whole weekend up there ruined by that **** in November one year. But I'm sure Theo would be in the know about that!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Wow, sweeet report. I love the scenery pics and the stories of fishing. Sucks about the ranch, man..

I am glad you had fun with Theo, he's a good dude who truly loves being a guide. He is telling me to get up there in November and I might just do that.

Crazy vacation, sounds like it was just what the Doc ordered.
I didn't order that. Just sayin

1 - 16 of 16 Posts