Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading for Reudi on Memorial Day weekend, but have never fished there before. Anyone have any tips or suggestions for what to use and where to fish?
I've heard there are some nice lake trout there, but haven't got a clue as to how to fish for them. Any tips on other species would be much appreciated too.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Ruedi is a good fishery for lake trout, though they are getting a little bit too numerous and overpopulated. However it still has some big ones in the 10 - 30 pound range. But most of what you catch will be 1 - 4 pounds. You will have to luck into anything over 6 pounds.
I would fish in water in the 40 - 60 foot range with small tube jigs tipped with sucker meat. Other lures that work good are flat fish slow trolled along the bottom. You should be getting into quite a few if you do this. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Keep any laker you catch under 20" or so until your limit is reached. Throw back anything over that. This lake, and most lake trout lakes in colorado, are past their glory days and have few big fish. Good spots are off of freeman mesa and where the waterfall comes in. There are also numerous rainbows, and while most of them are in the 8-12" range they are extremely simple to catch. There are a few bigger ones though, seen them up to 20". There are also the occaisional cutthroat and brown trout. There really isn't a kokanee fishery to speak of, I haven't heard of one seen in there in years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I have never used tube jigs on open water - do you normally just jig directly below the boat, or do you troll them?
Thanks again.

·
Banned
487 Posts
fishorgolf64 said:
Thanks for the tips. I have never used tube jigs on open water - do you normally just jig directly below the boat, or do you troll them?
Thanks again.
Just vertically jig them below the boat. Keep a limit of small lakers and if you catch any over 20", try to throw them back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts