Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amendments 60 & 61, along with Proposition 101, would change how state and local governments tax us, and how the state and local governments borrow money. Wondering what the thoughts of other forum members are on these measures...

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
sswan said:
Amendments 60 & 61, along with Proposition 101, would change how state and local governments tax us, and how the state and local governments borrow money. Wondering what the thoughts of other forum members are on these measures...
NO NO NO NO NO NO

Jim

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
I think Riv had a poll a while back about these issues. If I remember correctly, there was an overwhelming as well as surprising vote of NO! Interesting! I will look for it and post if I find it!

Jim

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I liked the premise and have generally found that the best thing to do is vote opposite of what all the union signs in my neighborhood advocate...........however, these are just too far-reaching and drastic to be sensible in any fashion if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Jim, for finding that thread--I missed it completely after that long holiday weekend.

I kind of have same gut reaction to the signs that solesearcher34 does.

And I also generally vote "no" on just about every measure unless there's something compelling about it to make me vote "yes."

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
A backdoor style Colorado State Government that used fee hikes to usurp voter approved tax increases and the use of COP's to fund projects instead of voter approved bond issues led to Amendments 60 and 61 along with Proposition 101 receiving enough signatures for placement on the November ballot.

If these three pass, we may see our State Government grind to a halt. Latest figures from the JBC show if these three pass, and once fully implemented, only $400 Million is left for all state government operations after meeting current Constitutional requirements for public school funding. Already, the shortfalls (recessions by the state because of budget cuts) for public school funding at the end of the 2010-2011 term will be 18% less than two years ago.

I know most of us hate taxes, but I doubt many of us to this extreme. I like roads I can safely drive on, bridges that are inspected, parks and lakes that are open, public safety, top-notch schools and colleges, and the list goes on. My biggest fear is what massive layoffs will do to an already depressed economy, home prices, jobs. I will vote NO on all three measures.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I am also voting no on these 3 measures, But with saying that, I believe they are on the right track for some things that need to be done, and I would vote yes for them in 2012 is they were not so extreme. I think it is common sense that taxes being collected to pay off loans should be dropped when the loan is paid off. I also think it is common sense for the voters to approve taxes and not just put on us by the hand of our local govt. without some sort of approval.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Juststarting said:
I am also voting no on these 3 measures, But with saying that, I believe they are on the right track for some things that need to be done, and I would vote yes for them in 2012 is they were not so extreme. I think it is common sense that taxes being collected to pay off loans should be dropped when the loan is paid off. I also think it is common sense for the voters to approve taxes and not just put on us by the hand of our local govt. without some sort of approval.
I fully agree!

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
NO

I'm not a fan of any tax really but sometimes I believe that you just have to bite the bullet for the greater good.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Colorado Springs Debate tonight.

Paul Prentice Debates in Favor of Tax Limitation Initiatives
by Paul Prentice
2010 El Paso County Election Debate. Co-sponsored by the Citizens Project and The Indpendent. Since this is likely to feature an audience hostile to limited government, it would be great to see many friendly PPEC faces in the crowd! The Tax Limitation portion of the evening starts at 6:08 pm.

What Debate

When Oct 06, 2010
from 05:00 pm to 06:30 pm
Where Stargazers Theater, 10 Parkside Dr., Colorado Springs, CO 80910
Add event to calendar vCal
iCal
5:00 Welcome – Kristy Milligan, Citizens Project
Welcome audience, thank the sponsors, introduce the moderator and media panel, evaluations

5:03 Moderator Introduction
Explain the format. A timekeeper will alert the candidates at 30 seconds, 10 seconds, and when their time is up. Audience members, please refrain from loud clapping or disrespectful noises. No signs in the audience. During the first Q&A section, audience members may submit their own questions in writing. Please pass your questions to volunteers on each side of the room.

5:06 Clerk & Recorder Candidate Opening Statements
Tom Mowle & Wayne Williams, 30 seconds each to present

5:09 Questions from Media Representatives
Each media representative will ask one question of both candidates
Candidates will have 1 minute to respond to each question.

5:21 Audience Questions
Moderator asks audience questions – as many as we have time for.
Each candidate has 1 minute to respond to each question

5:29 Closing Statements
Each candidate has 1.5 minutes for a closing statement (loser of coin toss chooses order)

5:32 Transition

5:35 County Commission 5 Candidate Opening Statements
Peggy Littleton & Mike Merrifield, 1.5 minutes each to present

5:38 Questions from Media Representatives
Each media representative will ask one question of both candidates
Candidates will have 1 minute to respond to each question.

5:50 Audience Questions
Each candidate has 1 minute to respond to each question

5:57 Closing Statements
Each candidate has 1.5 minutes for a closing statement (loser of coin toss chooses order)

6:01 Invitation to other County Candidates to speak
Darryl Glenn & Steve Kjonaas, 2 minutes each

6:05 Transition

6:08 60, 61 & 101 Opening Statements
Steve Durham (no) & Dr. Paul Prentice* (yes), 1.5 minutes each to present

6:12 Questions from speakers on both sides of issues
Each speaker will ask one question of his/her opponent (30 seconds)
Speakers will have 1 minute to respond to each question.

6:15 Audience Questions
Each speaker has 1 minute to respond to each question

6:22 Transition

6:25 MMJ Commercial
Tanya Garduno (no) & Dan May* (yes), 1.5 minutes each to present, and 1 minute to rebut

6:30 Adjournment – Moderator invites folks to stay and enjoy reception
Document ActionsiCalendar vCalendar Send this Print this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts