Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Ridgeway Reservoir/Uncomphagre River

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  NymphoStage 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about this area? On a whim I booked a camping spot at this park and will be dragging all the guys in the family out there camping next weekend. So, how is the reservoir? If I was to sneak away and fly fish the Uncompagre is it a good river? I think I have heard of it... Is it good below Ridgeway Reservoir?

Fill me in guys, I have a week to prepare!

#7 ·
camping at Silverjack- Absolutely one of the most beautiful places in Colorado. The fishing at the lake would probably be fine for the next few weeks, but it does get drawn way down for irrigation, thus making fishing tough. The Cimarron below the damn was high while we were there. The fishing was also tough then. Probably not the best fishing, but some good fishing cam be had. Hopper dropper with copper john. Haven't fished the upper parts. But would imagine the fishing would be fine when no too high.
As for the Ridgeway area. Pa-co is very good fishing. It's a tail water, so smaller BWO's and midges will work. There are a couple small ponds that have slimers in it, for easy catching. Especially for the kids. The lake is low as of last weekend. Can't imagine that it has risen much since then. Good fishing for trout along the bank or trolling in a boat! Enjoy!

#9 ·
When you say "hop over" there are actually two ways to get to Silver Jack from Ridgeway. You can drive to Montrose and then turn eastbound to Cimarron and take that road up to Silver Jack. Or, you can take the "Owl Creek" pass turn off just north of the town of Ridgway and drive up that way which in my mind is actually the prettier drive (especially in the Fall when the leaves are turning). Both are good road although dirt with no real rough spots that you couldn't get a family sedan over. Wouldn't try it with a low rider though!

#10 ·
We are bringing two cars: A Volvo S70 which I would almost put in the lowrider category and a Jeep Commander. Sounds like we setup camp and drive over in the Commander. Thanks for the feedback.

As a side note I think we are going to stop at 11 Mile on the way up tomorrow. If I can manage to lock up one of the "first come first serve" sites there I may scrap the whole Ridgeway idea and stay there. Anyone have input on tent camping site availability at 11 Mile?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.