Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Ridgway/Pa-Co-Chu-Puk

5K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  btaylor 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I'm originally from Colorado, and making a trip back this summer in the last week of July. I'm originally from the Northwest corner of the state, so my experience is on the Yampa/White/Flat Tops, etc. I've decided to head down to the SW corner of the state, really for the first time.

I managed to fit in three days camping in Ridgway State Park at Pa-Co-Chu-Puk Campground. We're primarily fly fisherman, though not necessarily squeamish about using a spinning rod and a Mepp's if all else fails. All other things being equal, we'd prefer to spend most of our time fishing the tailwater stretch of the Uncompaghre, but I anticipate getting on Ridgway Reservoir as well if we can get a day that isn't too windy(we'll have kayaks with us.)

Any tips on fly patterns/techniques for either the tailwater stretch or the lake? We'll release any fish caught, for whatever that's worth (I understand the rules demand that in the tailwater stretch anyway.)

Discussion starter · #8 · (Edited)
You'll have to watch the flows even in late July - they've been flushing the lake and we've got big run-off this year. Really high flows can make fishing harder - but still worth it. The Unc is in my back yard at it sounds like a freight train right now. They've been putting some nice snake river cuts in the tailwater - bruisers out there. There's also usually a wealth of rainbows and browns. Should be some green drakes and caddis, as well as terrestrials. Usual nymph patterns will produce. Stop by RIGS fly shop in Ridgway for the latest.

The lake is always good fishing as the stock it all the time. You'll catch stocked bows all day long. There's kokonee deep. An occasional monster brown is hauled in.

Since you have 3 days and the Unc tailwater is just over a mile long, you'll cover it pretty quickly. I'd consider hitting the San Miguel if its not blown out by rain - very scenic and good water. For something different the Gunnison at the East Portal of the Black canyon has great scenery and fishing. You might want to take your yaks over to Woods Lake...its small but a gem.
Great, the info I've gotten here has been fantastic. We're primarily nymph fisherman (tough to get much to rise to dry flies on Ozark streams, so that's what we're used to) so that's how I'd rather fish if I've got the choice. We'll keep an eye the water levels, and just fish the lake or some of the smaller streams in the National Forest if it's blown out.

We were thinking about hitting the East Portal for sure....don't have time to do the Black Canyon the right way, but at least we should do that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.