Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing the CPW fishing report page and happened to read this for Ridgway: Fishing has been very good for rainbow trout. This influx of recent fish has attracted the larger brown trout, with several 10 to 15 lb. fish being caught this spring. Obviously a huge exaggeration, maybe two big fish were caught this spring and they decide to write this nonsense. This along with some other reports I have read over the years made me recognize a pattern where state parks advertise fishing being much better than it actually is......probably their way of earning a few extra bucks.

I will admit that this report does have me curious about Ridgway though. Do people actually target big browns out there and do decent? I don't want to hotspot the place but I figure it is a good sized lake and in the middle of nowhere so it shouldn't be a big deal. Trophy browns seem to be few and far between in Colorado and I want one.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Small kokes and some smb.

Saw that the state was going to do a fish clinic on how to catch smb outta there. They did a tourney for smb and it was a catch and kill deal. ?????

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Back in the old days it was packed full of big browns, I saw 2 over 25 pounds caught. My best out of there is 15 pounds but the guys I know that target the big fish say they are few and far between anymore. The smb are doing well in there now and the state has put the lake on the poison list

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^^^^^^^ That was the impression I got when researching the place, sounds like fishing used to be good but people don't really target the browns too much anymore. It probably benefited from the new reservoir effect back in the 90s.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
It still has some big Browns. Just not like it used to have. Really had nothing to do with the new lake effect. It's not a fertile plains lake..had to do with the stocking of a lot of bows and the small kokes along with a ton of suckers and perch in the lake..Gotta have meat to eat to grow those twenty plus pound Browns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts