Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All: Family got up to Rifle-Gap Res. last Sun-Mon on my dad's new Lund.  Front moved through Sun. and hurt the fishing.  Mon. AM another story.  Trolling across the Dam hooked a nice 18" almost 4lb. Smallie (biggest I've ever caught)!  Lots of hits but real light (probably Perch).  About an hour later off the E. side of the island caught a respectable 18" Walleye.  My two girls each caught some very large Perch and Dad had a monster Walleye up to the boat but we couldn't get him netted.  All in all a very enjoyable day of fishing on Mon.  Careful...weekends are for powerboaters and jet skis.  Maybe some of the monster pike in there will have them for a snack!

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
barolobuff,

Do you have a bunch of tattoos on your arm and talk with a Canadian accent? You look like some guy who just came into my work yesterday.

-Jay

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Both fish caught trolling slow.  Smallie caught on a opaque chartreuse Twister tail with a leech.  The Walleye was caught with a flourescent white/orange crawler harness.  Perch were bumping about anything.

Rifle is W. of Glenwood Springs on I-70 by about 30 miles.  Rifle-Gap Res. is 7 miles N. of town.  Good camping for a fee.  Nice boat ramp.  Good shore fishing off the dam.  I caught a 32" Northern off the dam last Aug. on 1st cast with a floating Rap.

We usually go up 2-3 times a year.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
hey welcom to the site and thanks for the scoop on rifle-gap did you happen to get the surface temp while you were there

i wish i could hook a smallie like that

nice

F

·
0 Posts
nice smallie get one the d.o.w. webpage and print out a master angler award app. the look good in your den in a nice frame and they give you a patch

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Nice walleye and smallmouth you're one of the first people I've heard of that have caught walleye out of there in some time...congrats! Did you keep or release that smallie? Smallies of any good size in rifle gap are rare anymore and when you get one, it should be released.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts