Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished rifle today from 6:45 AM to 3:45 PM. Fishing was slow. I landed one fat 30" pike on a tipup in 6.5 fow with it 1 foot off of the bottom. Baited with anchovy. Fish was mortally wounded, and harvested :( Nobody was getting anything, I guess I just got lucky. Had another couple bites too but didn't get to the tipup in time before the fish was gone.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Rifle gap 2/3 (pic added!)

here it is.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
nice pike, good to here about rifle gap, i been wanting to get over that way for a while

are there any primitive (free or reel cheep) camping areas near by?

thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
Roadkill
If the road is open you can camp about 10 miles futher up the road towards Rifle falls. It is national forrest and it is free.THere is a tight canyon area and right past that is a meadow area on the left that people camp in.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Neal/CO said:
Judging by that Pikes girth, livin is good there!
yep. He had a small pike, 8-10", in his stomach. I bet the pike give the perch and stockers hell!

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
TFB 3 things

1. Damn you are looking skinny!
2. Try brightening up your pictures before you post them. That fish would look tons better if it wasn't so dark in the picture!
3. Nice fish!

Dan

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dan said:
TFB 3 things

1. Damn you are looking skinny!
2. Try brightening up your pictures before you post them. That fish would look tons better if it wasn't so dark in the picture!
3. Nice fish!

Dan
Dan, I weigh 182 pounds right now (well, as of last monday, I've ate pike, baked potato with butter, cheese, and sour cream, a nestle crunch, and cheezits, so I probably weigh more like 183 but oh well). My weight at the end of 2004 was 226. I have only gained 1/2 of an inch or so in height since then. The picture was a dim one from my friend's digital, I'll see if I can make it brighter with a photo editor though (I still need to get one).
Hatchmaster and everyone else who commented, thanks, I was pretty dang excited with the fish too. The flag popped up at I think 9:45 the only time the sun came out for 1 minute...coincidence? I don't know. I hooked the fish though and knew it was a nice one. I got it to the hole after 5 min or so and it then went on a huge run. It snagged up in some nearby weeds. I waited for 20 seconds, and it swam out. I then got its head vertically inside the hole and I thought the fight was done. It thrashed like a mad beast though and slipped out of my friends hands when they were just grabbing him. He then went on another huge run and snagged in the weeds again. I waited a minute or two. He still wouldn't move. So I pulled him out, and with a few weeds attached, he came to the hole and we got him out! At least this one was easier to get through the hole :D
BTW: my dad and I split one of the filets tonight and it was GOOD........dang I wanna go cook up the other one. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts