Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Rifle Gap Saturday and Sunday-  Saturday from a pontoon boat and Sunday with my wife from the shore.  I concentrated on the east end of the lake  both days.  The fishing wasn't great, but it wasn't dead either...

The lake is full and spilling over the spillway, which has submerged a lot of weeds and vegetation that grew up last summer as the lake was drawn down for irrigation needs.  Use a sonar unit to find either the main channel or get out to the edge of the weedline.  Water temperature at the surface ranged from 45-48 degrees.  The wind was 10-20 MPH from the west for most of the day.  There were quite a few boats on the water, mostly other fishermen, and everyone seemed to be courteous and spare me their wake.  (I only mention that because last summer I lost a tackle box and almost fell off my pontoon as some kind gentleman blew past me about twenty yards away- and I was only ten or fifteen yards off the island.)

Saturday-
I was getting bit by perch and some decent rainbows using a 1/8 ounce jighead with a piece of nightcrawler suspended just above the bottom and sitting still.  The perch were biting short and wouldn't touch it with a stinger hook.  The trout were hitting lazily, but if you gave them a second or two you could get them hooked.  I was marking fish in 17-21 feet of water, and they progressively moved closer to shore and into the weeds as the afternoon went on.

I managed to hook an awesome walleye (I'm guessing about 10 pounds, but bigger than any walleye I've ever seen in CO) and I got a bit too excited and turned the drag the wrong way when she went to make a run which snapped my line off at the knot.  You know when a walleye makes a run that is peeling line off the reel it's a biggun'!  I had a nice spool of braided P-line with me too, so it's completly my fault...  And for those who are going to say it was a pike--it was definitely a walleye.

In 6 hours of fishing on Saturday I ended up only landing 3 rainbows, and probably missed 6 or 8 other bites-mostly perch I think.

There were some guys long lining spinners and some small spoons (looked like Triple Teasers) and they seemed to pick up a couple of rainbows on each pass.

Sunday--no fish for my wife or myself.  Too many weeds to put a bait on the bottom and too much wind to fish with a slip bobber, at least from the shore.  We ended up going up to Rifle Falls State Park and had a good time looking around.  If you haven't already you should go take a look, it's really beautiful.  Take the family and you'll all enjoy it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well that Walleye may get you to go back. Big fish are the ones that get away and leave you thinking about it.
I agree that Rifle falls state park is a great place to take the family. Went there for the first time late last summer with the 6 & 8 year olds. Camped at the walk-ins, walked the trails, caves and the falls are sweet. Fished the small creek and managed to catch a few dinks but it's not easy. Their is a hatchery just a couple miles above the park and of course toured that. I didn't take my boat because the parking is tight and I'm kinda glad I didn't. Hard to do serious fishing and do things the kids like. Without kids I'd stay at the lake but with kids the state park is more entertaining IMO. A guy could leave their boat at the lake but I didn't want to do that.
Good luck on your next trip!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Herb, thanks for the feedback.

I flyfished the creek and had a good time watching the little browns come up and chase my nymphs. The biggest one was 10" and shaped like a railroad spike so I didn't mention it in the first post.

I fish Rifle Gap quite a bit since it's only an hour from here. I've probably been there a dozen times just since December. I've figured out a lot about the lake in the last couple of years, but this is the first year I've gone just after ice-off. Half the fun of fishing to me is learning all you can about a few bodies of water and I've still got a lot to learn before I'll have Rifle mastered.

They are renovating one of the old campgrounds, and opened the new one early this year, so it's nice to see the park fees going to good use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts