Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was up at Rifle Gap February 22nd to record a video...We had plans to ice fish there but with the tough luck we've had so far this year and the reports of the east end opening up...We decided to fish in the open water instead. Bank fishing sounded fun but belly boating sounded better

There was about 200 or so yards open water on the East end and the trout were VERY ACTIVE!! Between Sam, Remy, and myself we had to have caught around 50 in the few hours we were there. All on a WIDE variety of lures/baits. I even got out some big lipless cranks and DT Raps to see if I could get some pike...Rainbows were biting that too.

There were several parties of people ice fishing that day out toward the west end and a couple of people fishing pretty close to where the ice was looking really thin. (Drone shots in video taken a few days after)

Below: 3 rainbows caught that day (pictures sucked that day) and also a picture of the lake from my drone! Also, a video of the action of the day!!;D

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
You guys are definitely getting out a lot and getting it done .

Good job and another good video .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
367 Posts
How plentiful are the Pike in there? I have never fished Rifle Gap, but looking to expand my Pike options. Next year I want to participate in a multi-species fly fishing tournament called Mile High 25 where the goal is to catch as many species as you can on a fly rod anywhere in Colorado. Tournament is usually last weekend in June.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are definitely getting out a lot and getting it done .

Good job and another good video .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Pistoldog! We had a lot of fun with this one...Really glad we decided to do this instead of grind out an ice bite! Glad you've been enjoying man^-^

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How plentiful are the Pike in there? I have never fished Rifle Gap, but looking to expand my Pike options. Next year I want to participate in a multi-species fly fishing tournament called Mile High 25 where the goal is to catch as many species as you can on a fly rod anywhere in Colorado. Tournament is usually last weekend in June.
I'm not sure how plentiful they are but there's definitely some really good ones:thumb: I've seen some GIANTS in the shallows last early spring just cruising around. I have yet to catch one out of Rifle gap though, just Harvey. That sounds really cool! I have a buddy that did something similar on his own time though, caught almost every species you can catch in Colorado on a fly rod 2 summers ago. Was pretty epic to see.:thumb: That tournament sounds like a lot of fun, good luck in it! Rio Blanco has a lot of pike in it, just small ones though for the most part.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Good video! It was cool to see you guys enjoy your self like kids out there, good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts