Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving through with 3/4 of a day to kill. Never fished (or even been to) either. Which is best for your $? Fishing from shore, just looking for an enjoyable morning.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Sylvan is nice for the scenic factor, easy fishing, but mainly stocker trout in there. Rifle water levels are dropping and water temps hovering around 70, so getting tougher from shore. Some warm water species in Rifle (SMB, Trout, Perch, Pike), so different than Sylvan. You might consider Harvey Gap as well. Harvey is dropping, so a lot of the banks are muddy which may make shore fishing less desirable. However, there are parts of the lake that offer good access from shore with a good possibility of getting in to some fish. Pike, SMB, trout, and some recently stocked Tigers. Not a lot of specific details I realize. Rifle and Harvey can be tough nuts to crack, but they are your best options for bumping in to big fish and different species. Have fun!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to both. fished rifle from 7am-11am caught all sorts from 7-9am. one big bass, bunch of little ones. one little pike (14") one med little (22"). I didn't even consider harvey because I thought it had been drained/ruined...is that not the case?

Sylvan is a lovely pond....it ain't a lake. caught a 15/16" rainbow, watched the bikinis on the paddle boards.

everything I caught went back in the water. I was surprised to see rifle so low already. it looks at least 12' down from high water. don't know if they ever get it full but at this time of year I pretty well expect things to be full. I'd love to try harvey if it's not ruined.

·
Registered
271 Posts
It has been dry for months in the Rifle drainage. Lake is probably down more than 20 feet. Fishing has been good. I have not seen Harvey but my understanding is that it still has water. They still have to irrigate the fields above Silt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts