Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the western slope. I hear there are walleye and other fish types in Rifle Gap Reservoir. I'm looking for any tips on how to catch them, now before ice-up, through the ice if it's possible and in the spring once it melts. Is there a decent lake map available?

When is the ice usually safe? When is ice out?

Any other advice on how and what to catch in this lake would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
there are very few walleye at rifle gap. A better walleye lake on the west slope is juniata reservoir.
Rifle usually ices around mid december ices off mid march.
There are small rainbow trout that are stockers 10-16" usually, a few decent brown trout, many nice perch, also getting to be a good pike population. Please release all pike and walleye caught at rifle. We can't have gamefish stocked here on the west slope so the few we have remaining need to be conserved.
Check your pm box.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Rifle's Walleye have been damaged by overstocking of Rainbow Trout and overproliferation of Yellow Perch. There are a few in there still, but they are well fed and hard to catch, but most all are big.
It's possible to catch them through the ice, the whole lake is usually frozen by early January. Fish off the dam in the morning and evening twighlight periods in about 20 feet of water, with a #5 jigging rapala tipped with a perch eye or a very small minnow head.
As bear said, as good as walleyes and pike are, please release them in this reservoir.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts