Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent 6 hours on the water yesterday in my tube hoping for Rainbows. Last week I went to the east end, fished about 3 hours using a floating line and only caught one rainbow. It was a good one (20") so I thought I would head back this week.
Fished about 3 hours at the east end with absolutely nothing to show for the effort. I then went and fished the dam for a couple of hours with a heavy sink tip which was getting the fly down 10' into the rocks. I lost one fish and then just before time to leave I caught two smallmouth bass, one 12" and the other 13".
I have no idea where all the rainbows have gone. I did well at the east end about 3 weeks ago but they seem to have disappeared. Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
341 Posts
Not sure, I did find when I was on the East end a month or so ago that they were all at around 15-20 feet. We got mild action prior to committing to that depth, once we did it was game over and we got a bite about every cast for a few hours straight! That was when half the lake was still frozen though. Good luck in your efforts!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was there about two week after your video and there was a midge hatch going and they were rising all over. I hooked 6 fishing about 5 feet down. A couple weeks ago I fished about that same depth and only caught one but it was 20" and full of eggs, probably around 3.5#. Have you noticed that they aggregate at the east end pre spawn? I have never fished the lake until this year so don't know much about it. I fished the dam because that's where I get them in Vega.
I also noticed you are headed to the White for whitefish. I lived in Meeker for over 20 years. Most people fish them this time of year with bait. I used tiny, brightly colored flies (#18 or even 20) and got them down on the bottom using split shot and let them roll down stream. I also used to catch them on every cast in June on deer hair caddis dries, size 14. People up there smoke them and they are very bony.

·
Registered
379 Posts
So I don't know anything about Rifle Gap, but I do wonder what water temp is. Rainbows like to spawn when it is near 42-45 degrees from what I understand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts