Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one have an Ice thickness report on Rifle or Harvey? Going up for the Tourney but I think I might try for pike at Harvey Gap a couple days b4 any info would be great!Where? fow? Lures or deadbait?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Re: Rifle gap!

dont tease me like that, that aint a report!

·
Registered
804 Posts
As of Monday Rifle Gap had about 7-8 inches of ice around Boat ramp. It gets thicker as you move West. Harvey Gap had about the same on the North end and up to a foot around the dam. Both get a bit slushy during the day due to recent warm weather. Over night temps have been low so a good cap should hopefully remain. Last year they had to cancell the tourney due to soft ice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Went to both Rifle and Harvey this past Monday.

Rifle - Perch were biting pretty good on small jigs tipped with mealworms. Average size was around 8-10" on the perch. We caught two bows there also. Mine was 14 1/2". Ice was thick and solid. No cracking or bubbles anywhere.

Harvey - Slushy and the ice was around 6". Can't walk around too much before you create another lake on the surface. Small crappie and perch were hitting on rat finkees tipped with nightcrawlers. Average size of both were around 4 - 6"

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
both places are very slushy. Both places are very soft around the edges. you need a long plank to get out onto both places unless you wanna get knee deep in water. the ice is soft and fairly rotten at both lakes. The ice is ranging from 6-10" at rifle and 5-12" at harvey. Harvey has been very good for small panfish of all species this year from what I've heard (I haven't fished it, but friends have), and rifle has been decent for nice perch from what I've experienced. Rifle has also been good for rainbows and the occaisional brown. Caught a few northerns at rifle although all of them small <24". I haven't heard of anyone getting into the pike, catfish, or bass at harvey though. It probably is worth a shot if some of the better places are frozen, although I heard the waterfall bay is completely open water, and in the past that was always the best spot for pike and bass for me through the ice. Of course, I haven't fished harvey since the drought (2003) so maybe there are better spots now that there is more water. Anyway, I hope you have good luck and please post a report when you get back!

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Eric I keep hearing about this monster you caught. Where is it?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Think I should put my bro's pike up there? Of course, cut the photo so the background can't be seen as much.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the conditions reports fellas we will be up in a week and a half to visit some freinds who own the vet hospital in parachute and stay for the tourney! See ya up there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts