Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished rifle gap yesterday from 6:45 AM or so until 1:30 pm. It was hairy getting out on the ice, we needed a long board cuz of open water on the edges. Then, once we got on, 40+ mph winds knocked us off of our feet. No snow on the ice, as slick as could be. Windy...ughhh. It was hairy. Couldn't really get a presentation for an hour or so off of the island. Didn't see much though so that's alright. I then went a little more towards the west, and set up a tipup in 12 fow. I then drilled a hole at 17 fow and decided to get the skunk off by catching a trout. After a while, I still hadn't caught a trout yet, so I put on a fairly large spoon, like 3/8 oz. I dropped it down there and ripped that thing... And then, a red mark on my sonar appeared. I jiggled it a bit and then the fish was on it. He just got it and slowly was swimming away with it, my rod was nearly in a horseshoe. This hit was consistant with a huge pike. I set the hook, had him on for a split second, and then he was off. I brought the spoon back up, and 2 of the hooks on the treble were completely straightened out. So I bent the hooks back, and got fishing again. A school of trout came in. Bam 11" bow. Bam 12" brown. Bam 13" bow. After nothing for another 15 minutes or so, I had another fish come in on the sonar, Right then though, I got a flag and ran to it. I caught a pike on it. I got back and the fish was gone from my sonar. After 10 min, I had a fish rush my spoon. BAM. After a strong fight, I got a brown about 19-20". Nothing was happening after that, so I went to the depths to fish for perch. I caught a 10.5" fatty pretty much right away. In the next hour and a half, I only caught one more, a 12" fatty. Both on a 1/16 oz buckshot rattlespoon tipped with a bit of nightcrawler and baitfish smelly jelly. This was in 48 fow. The school down there was massive, but they just didn't want to hit....Oh well not too bad of a day. I still think I should've went to the colorado!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yeah, it was pretty hairy out there. Here is a picture of the open water around the edges and the 12 foot plank we used to get onto the ice.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah the whole crew sliding around the ice was pretty funny.........I think if someone went to the northwest part of the lake, they'd have a whole bunch of new ice fishing gear from stuff that the wind blew away.lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts