Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Rifle yesterday, got there right a first light. Went to West side and parked by the outhouse and walked over to swim beach. Ice was solid 10"-12" but you could tell that there had been 3"-4" of slush. I moved about every 10-15 minutes but could not find the fish. I fished from 10' to 40'. Finally I got lucky and must have camped on a herd of em. Non-stop until I got tired of catching. I got my biggest perch ever, a 13 1/2". Only caught 1 trout a typical stocker. Had the place completely to myself...not a person where I was.

·
Registered
16,614 Posts
Went to Rifle yesterday, got there right a first light. Went to West side and parked by the outhouse and walked over to swim beach. Ice was solid 10"-12" but you could tell that there had been 3"-4" of slush. I moved about every 10-15 minutes but could not find the fish. I fished from 10' to 40'. Finally I got lucky and must have camped on a herd of em. Non-stop until I got tired of catching. I got my biggest perch ever, a 13 1/2". Only caught 1 trout a typical stocker. Had the place completely to myself...not a person where I was.
There will be now!:eek:

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
slayerfish...that place gets pounded! Frozen in the slush were tracks that looked like the herd at a Bronco's game. I have fished it for years and am totally surprised that there are any fish in it.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I was there over new years break and couldn't find the perch at all. I did manage to find about 40 stockers though! ???:-\

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree that the perch are really down from the numbers of past years in Rifle. I hunted for them for about three hours and ended up a long way from where I started. Where I end up at was the only place that I found any perch and with all my efforts I only caught 1 trout..which I put back.I did see where others had caught small pike (8"-15") and left them on the ice.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
been tough up there, was up twice this year drilled 50+ holes each day, 2 perch first trip , 6 last trip. Westsloper right CPW killed it!! looks like harvey better prch lake this year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts