Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was posted in Joey's other thread by Bobco and was asked to me to start it in another thread on it's own...very important to the cause!!!

THX Bobco!!!

I just got of the phone with Lori Martin, CPW bio responsible for Rifle Gap. She request that anybody concerned please call her at 970-255-6126. We had a nice talk about the netting and killing of the female walleyes, I could sense that this is not something she is proud of or wanting to do. It came from the USFWS as a condition for stocking tripiods and black Crappie into the lake. As of now no mama walleyes have been killed and no nets in the water. She has been hammered with concerned anglers and has escalating it to upper management. It is possible to stop this now and revisit the lake management plan. I for one would be all for ditch the tripiod stocking and leave the self substaining walleyes alone for better or worse. I have seen a steady increase in the past few years in the walleyees, most anglers I know wont even think about keeping one with vision of a better fishery long term. A little fact is the those walleyees are the result of one single stocking in 1974, THATS 44 YEARS AGO! I think we have a good gene pool for a selfsubstaining population. Please call Lori and plead your case. I think she is trying to do the right thing so be civil, but like I told her this stinks to high heaven and really gives a bad look to the general public that was uninformed. I think a cease netting and new public input meeting is called for and hoepfully we can come up with a livable plan! or email [email protected]

·
Registered
199 Posts
Thanks for the news, I just tried calling to get the details. The bottom line is that the westslope stuff is almost never CPWs fault. The USFWS has more control over everything because of the endangered fish. A lot of times CPW shouldn't take the blame.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't give a damn about those endangered species-I mean if they can't make it on their own screw 'em.

Something like 99% of all the species that used to roam the earth are extinct-nature is a mean mother.

Apparently building dams on free flowing rivers impacted them by changing their environment and efforts to increase their numbers and ensure their survival have largely met with failure. Just how much money does the gov't want to throw at this and how many fish do they want to kill to give these species a better chance?

·
Registered
72 Posts
email sent

I sent Lori an email voicing my concerns as a Western Slope resident/angler. We'll see what becomes of it...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Just had a 40 minute conversation with Lori, they will be holding off on their gill netting operations in Rifle Gap. There will be another round table meeting in Rifle in the next 2-3 weeks to discuss the management plan for the lake and to talk about other management options. She did say that no gill netting has been done (park ranger said they had though so who can you believe) she also said the petition and all the traffic on social media has caused quite a stir with her upper management. She also went into how there is a chance to save the existing walleye in the lake, it will take a lot of legwork on their part. I think Bob is right on that she wants to help, she seemed genuinely upset with the situation. I will keep everyone posted on when this meeting is and it would be great to see some faces from the Eastern slope as well as the western slope, her words were the more people we can gather the better chance we will have!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Here is the email I sent... you can copy and paste or change it or whatever.

While I am rather ignorant to the real issues, I figured my words are broad enough to voice that a reconsideration is worthy. Feel free to edit so others can use this. Let's fill her inbox with a few hundred of these n

Lori,

Please consider this email as my plea to reconsider the the netting and killing of the current strain of walleys in Rifle Gap. Rather than waste your time with the countless reasons (that I believe you already know) why this plan will ultimately harm the lake, I will simply state that the netting should be halted and a full reconsideration on keeping the existing species should be fully explored.

I appreciate your consideration of my and so many other's opinions on this matter and hope that we can keep this lake the way it is.

Respectfully,

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Good job to all getting this out in the open with some fast action and support Hopefully before damage is done by stupid decisions.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Thanks to everyone for stepping up and giving anglers on the western slope a voice! The battle is long from over but we're moving in the right direction. Remember just because they are holding off on dropping nets in doesn't mean they won't in the future. Basically they're giving us a second chance to get organized and voice our concerns. The more bodies we have at this next meeting the better!

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great news Joey...great job!!! Thank you for getting this going and giving us Colorado anglers a voice that may just make a difference for once!!!

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Thanks to everyone for stepping up and giving anglers on the western slope a voice! The battle is long from over but we're moving in the right direction. Remember just because they are holding off on dropping nets in doesn't mean they won't in the future. Basically they're giving us a second chance to get organized and voice our concerns. The more bodies we have at this next meeting the better!
well done Joey! looks like we have a chance but dont take the foot off the gas pedal! full speed ahead, this thing is far from over the more attention the better! Thanks again!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Here's why.. http://www.coloradoriverrecovery.org

I have been actively involve with voicing my concerns with these programs. The 2 main questions I have is;
1. Rainbow trout are not indigenous to ANY interior waters of the USA and are actively stocked and promoted. Rainbows are a predatory species that DO feed on these identified endangered fish species while also compete for food. Ever catch a rainbow trout on a rapala? I have... point being is they are worried about walleye because they are not a favorable species in the Feds and CPW eyes. Double standard in may opinion and I just don't get there train of thought as not only is the rainbow trout non native it is also an invasive non native species.

2. Carp. Another predatory species comleteing for food and habitat but also very distructive while being very adaptable to varying habitats. Again my same sentiment as the rainbow trout hold true for the carp. Invasive, non native, more damaging to ecosystems, and prolific breeders. Yet they do ZERO to control these nasty buggers. Again a double standard.

White River by Rangely had a world class small mouth bass fishery developing until the USFW decided to start shocking the river removing the bass. Pissed a lot of folks off as the area was nearly set to start captalizing off this great sport fish.

When it come to USFW and CPW i wouldn't trust a word coming out of their mouths. Double standards is the game for them to pick and choose the the fish species thet want to target.

This fight can be won but it will take sportperson pressure on the USFW and CPW and a net at the outlet containing these species just like has been done at Highline Res. and is being installed at Elkhead.

One last bit of information. These walleye in Rifle were put in during the 1970's. The Upper Colorado Endangered Fish Recovery Program went into affect in 1988. That means there is room to negotiate for the protection and continued promption of the walleye which would force the state and feds to take alternative actions rather than remove this sport fish.

Get a petition going then get a good showing at the next meeting about the walleye.

Al

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Here's why.. http://www.coloradoriverrecovery.org

I have been actively involve with voicing my concerns with these programs. The 2 main questions I have is;
1. Rainbow trout are not indigenous to ANY interior waters of the USA and are actively stocked and promoted. Rainbows are a predatory species that DO feed on these identified endangered fish species while also compete for food. Ever catch a rainbow trout on a rapala? I have... point being is they are worried about walleye because they are not a favorable species in the Feds and CPW eyes. Double standard in may opinion and I just don't get there train of thought as not only is the rainbow trout non native it is also an invasive non native species.

2. Carp. Another predatory species comleteing for food and habitat but also very distructive while being very adaptable to varying habitats. Again my same sentiment as the rainbow trout hold true for the carp. Invasive, non native, more damaging to ecosystems, and prolific breeders. Yet they do ZERO to control these nasty buggers. Again a double standard.

White River by Rangely had a world class small mouth bass fishery developing until the USFW decided to start shocking the river removing the bass. Pissed a lot of folks off as the area was nearly set to start captalizing off this great sport fish.

When it come to USFW and CPW i wouldn't trust a word coming out of their mouths. Double standards is the game for them to pick and choose the the fish species thet want to target.

This fight can be won but it will take sportperson pressure on the USFW and CPW and a net at the outlet containing these species just like has been done at Highline Res. and is being installed at Elkhead.

One last bit of information. These walleye in Rifle were put in during the 1970's. The Upper Colorado Endangered Fish Recovery Program went into affect in 1988. That means there is room to negotiate for the protection and continued promption of the walleye which would force the state and feds to take alternative actions rather than remove this sport fish.

Get a petition going then get a good showing at the next meeting about the walleye.

Al
Great first post!

Here is a link to the petition I started that got the ball rolling on stopping the Rifle Gap Gill netting.

https://www.change.org/p/colorado-parks-and-wildlife-take-back-our-warm-water-fisheries-in-western-colorado?recruiter=456793010&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I hope you can make the next meeting. I haven't heard the date as of yet, I do know it will be towards the end of April.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts