Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after some business Ice and I had to take care of in meeker today was over, we had 2 hours to kill and went to rio blanco. The wind was a cold wind, it was fierce, and the sun was shining. Conditions were terrible. You really need a boat to fish rio blanco effectively. After all of that put into the equation, I was pretty positive I would get skunked going after the pike. I was wrong. I only caught one, a 21", on a 1/4 oz willow spinnerbait with a green and white skirt and a 4" white curly tail grub as a trailer (I wanted an orange one but I was out :mad:). It was a pretty skinny lil pike, so I decided he was to be dinner. Fileted him, and tasty!!! By the way, in his stomach there was a partially digested yellow perch, probably 4-6" during consumption. Iceintheveins caught one largemouth at about 10". he also had a pike around 2 ft long follow in his spinnerbait. I think if we had a boat and could've fished more than 2 hours in the middle of the day we would've caught several more pike. I caught the pike past the point on the south side of the lake where the lake gets shallow. You can spot the weedbeds if they are underwater (they are darker than the water) and retrieve the spinnerbait just above the top of the weeds, with an occaisional short pause.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's in rio blanco county of course. Just before you get to meeker, coming from rifle, turn left right before the kum and go and follow that road for 15 min or so and you'll see a reservoir, rio blanco. Nope. The pike I caught was the only pike I saw, the water was kind of murky and there were literally waves on the water so I had no visibility down there anyway. When the wind died down for a few min, ice had a follow from a pike (the one I already mentioned). It's not that good of a lake for big pike, at least the residents usually don't get big. The CDOW put a pike over 50" from the yampa river last year that weighed something like 37 pounds or something like that...I forget the specifics. I hooked a big pike this ice season too though, so probably another yampa relocated pike. too bad 50" litter the yampa banks, wish they'd put em all in here lol they would eat the little resident pike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We used to fish Rio Blanco a lot several years ago. We found the best way to fish it was to plow through the thick weeds in a float tube and fish right behind your fins. Kind of like doing the San Juan shuffle - we caught some big fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts