Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one I harvested from rio blanco this ice season. He was a tasty one. Just got the pic back along with some other pics, but this is the only fishing one in that roll of film.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
How do you clean your pike? Do you just fillet them and remove the y bones after you cook it or do you do it the old school way and make the extra cuts to remove them first?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
depends. On larger pike, like this one, I leave the y bones in because it keeps the filets, which are a little less firm, intact. Then, since the y bones are very large, I just take them out. On pike less than 24" in length, I filet them and then take the y bones out before cooking. I rarely keep pike over 24", I think I kept 2 this ice season 1 from rifle 1 from rio. I harvested 2 other pike also, 23" from rio and just over 21" from rio.

L

·
0 Posts
I fillet all my Northerns, I've not found the meat to lack firmness. I learned to fillet Northerns in Canada from an Indian guide and it is truly awesome. It's about 3 1/2 swipes of the fillet knife and your fillets come out in an elongated horseshoe shape, 100% bone free.

Most people don't realize how good of eating pike is as they won't bother with the bones. I like pike as much as (maybe more than) walleye.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts