Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fished Rio Blanco lake from sunrise to sunset on saturday for pike. I only landed two pike all day, one only 16" and the other 23". I lost another pike on a jointed rapala that was about 28" after I fought it for about 3 minutes and he spit the hook. The other pike were caught on spinnerbaits. I had 8 other pike from 23 - 30" follow it in to my boat. I also caught and released a 14" largemouth on a spinnerbait.
It was beastly hot and I was dead from chunking heavy lures all day. Action was slow but one guy caught 6 pike and another guy landed a 28", 7 pound pike. It had a tag so it was pillaged from the yampa. He removed the tag and released the pike, telling me he would flush the tag down the john when he got home. God bless him. Down with the disaster of wildlife.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
That sounds like fun! Where is Rio Blanco?

I wanted to go up to 11-Mile and fish for pike today, but my wife had to go out of town on business, soI had to settle for smallmouths at Aurora.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Neal, its about 15-20 min. west of meeker. It also has a strong population of crappie, bluegill, perch (yellow), and catfish. Didn't get a chance to fish for cats this time, but I always get those there, even icefishing. I caught 4 crappie, 2 bluegill, and 1 fat 9" perch. I only had 1 pike about 30" follow my spinnerbait to the boat and slap at it. Ice caught the two pike, kept the 16" because his spinnerbait ripped most of the fish's lip off.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts