Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious if any one here has been fishing the Rio Grande just north of South Fork. I will be heading out that way in June and I haven't been there in decades, so any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Stonefly hatch! Wind! There's a subdivision you can fish through, but I can't remember the name - maybe Masonic? It's pretty close to South Fork, then up just a few more miles is a wildlife area with a lot of access. You'll probably get some more replies with better info, as it's been a while for me, too. Rainbow Grocery is S. Fork has flies and some advice, but not like a full service shop. Wolf Creek Anglers also has a shop there back toward Del Norte.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. The last time I was there was back in the mid 70's. I know Masonic Park. Where I am going is not much farther north to Wagon Wheel Gap. My grandfather built a cabin up there in 1965 and then sold it to a family friend before he died.
Yes, the stonefly hatch, I forgot about that. And Rainbow Grocery is still there? It sounds as though that area hasn't changed.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Wagon Wheel isn't too far from Marshall Park campground, and quite a bit of public land around there. Should be some Caddis besides stones.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Probably has not changed as much as you think, just more Texans, haha. Middle to end of June should be peak time to be there. Was there last year around that time and I've never seen such a prolific stonefly hatch. Fishing was incredible. Have fun!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts