Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Harvey Gap last night and was shocked to learn they are going to drain the lake and salvage fish effective immediately. The guy (Darrell) at the gate was pretty upset and said there was no notice given to anyone. The stated logic is that they need to inspect the outlet. Supposedly they have not ever inspected the outlet which I find hard to believe. I suspect this is another step in the USFWS crusade against pike and smallmouth. The timing is very suspicious considering the recent "this is the way it's going to be" meeting regarding Rifle Gap's long term management plan back in April. Anyway, they've been stocking Tiger Muskie for the past three years and are trying to save some of them but aside from that, here's yet another example of a great fishery destroyed. It will take years to re-establish it and I seriously doubt that CPW has any plan to make it anything other than yet another lame ass stocked trout fishery. Let's hope perch and pike make their way back into it and maybe within ten years it will be close to the fishery it is today. I feel like I found out a friend is terminally ill. Sickening. Very angry. :mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
"inspect the outlet" didnt even say anything was wrong with it. Cant divers inspect the outlet?

Just another way to ruin a warm-water fishery to make room for the elusive stocker trout.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
this sounds more like the owners of the water than the CPW like antero. when the owners want to drain it all the CPW can do is try to rebuild the fishery

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I've known about it for a while now, it was up in the air whether or not it would happen. One of my closest friends works for the Silt Water Conservancy District, the decision was made last week that they would move forward with this. For years Harvey gap has had issues with dam they have made the decision to drain the lake to make repairs. I honestly think this isn't a bad thing for Harvey gap, there are many fish populations that have been stunted for years in this lake and this might give them a chance to grow. Of course for the pike fisherman will take the biggest blow from this. In my opinion Harvey gap would more than likely produce a state record fish in the next couple years however with them draining it that will not happen. I did hear that they might create a dike around the area that they're going to be working on in order to keep a little water in the lake hopefully they can keep enough water that some of the fish will survive.

What people need to remember is this is not the CPW's choice. Harvey gap is a privately owned reservoir controlled by the Silt Water Conservancy District. This decision was made solely on the safety of people living below the dam and preserving irrigation water for farmers ranchers and other users downstream.

·
Registered
5,341 Posts
Fish limits lifted due to reservoir’s draining

By Dennis Webb
Wednesday, August 17, 2016
A popular reservoir north of Silt is being drained to allow inspection of the dam outlet structure, prompting Colorado Parks and Wildlife to lift normal fishing restrictions there.
CPW said in a news release that the Silt Water Conservancy District is having to drain Harvey Gap Reservoir. CPW will restock the reservoir once it is permanently refilled, but when that will occur hasn’t been determined, CPW said.
Meanwhile, CPW has authorized an emergency fish salvage, effectively immediately, meaning anglers with a valid fishing license can catch and keep as many fish as they can, using conventional legal tackle. Use of explosives, toxicants, firearms, spearfishing, jugs or trotlines, archery, gigs or electricity remains illegal.
The reservoir contains tiger muskie, northern pike, channel catfish, black crappie, trout, yellow perch, bluegill, and largemouth and smallmouth bass. Anglers are allowed to fish at night to encourage capture of channel catfish.
The CPW advises using caution due to deep mud from the draining of the reservoir. Anglers are advised to call Rifle Gap State Park at 970-625-1607 to get the latest conditions.
While fishing at Harvey Gap State Park is allowed at night, it’s otherwise a day-use area. Overnight camping is prohibited, as are pets. A park pass is required, and may be bought at the park or from the visitor center at Rifle Gap State Park.
People with questions about the reservoir draining, inspection and repairs may contact the Silt Water Conservancy District at 970-876-2393 or at [email protected].
Questions about the fish salvage should be directed to CPW’s Northwest Region senior aquatic biologist, Lori Martin, at 970-255-6186.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks Westsloper

Hey Westsloper,
Thanks for the clarification. I might have been getting a little carried away with the USFWS paranoia. They make it easy to get that way. Good to know this is legit and not just them manipulating a small agency for their own agenda. As a diehard Pike fisherman, this is bad news especially for a place I have been going to sometimes three times per week this summer. It's close to my house and now I'm going to have to figure out someplace else. I would like Rifle Gap a lot more if it wasn't for the powersports guys everywhere. It's also 15 more minutes away from my home. Caught 4 medium pike last night and a few suicidal perch that hated the perch fly I was throwing. Anyway, nothing but good memories of that place and hopefully it will come back soon and better than before.

·
Registered
12,554 Posts
It won't come back better than before because the pike-hate that's pushed in this state will mean they won't be put in there again.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It won't come back better than before because the pike-hate that's pushed in this state will mean they won't be put in there again.
There's already pike in the system, Rifle and Harvey gap are connected by irrigation ditches. If there's pike in Rifle Gap there's going to be pike in Harvey. They will come back its just going to take time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts