Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Recently moved to west side of State. Hit one of the rivers at dusk with spinning gear. They were slurping flies, so next time I'll bring the fly rod. But I was able to pull out a 16 inch bow on standard Panther Martin. By then it was really getting dark, so I quit for the day.

Do you all have good results in a bigger river after dark? Can fish find lures or flies in fast moving water? Are spinners better because of the action?

Would appreciate any help from the experts. I really enjoy this site.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Hi Pesca, there are a lot of fly guys who fish at night using big streamers with great success.

One of the standard tactic's in northern Michigan for example is swinging streamers at night for big browns, so yes they can find food or food facsimiles at night.

Glad you enjoy the site!

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I agree with pistol.. streamers after dark are a ton of fun.. BIG hits are what I have found. I haven't done it in a couple years, but when I did, it was always a blast. Kinda tough to do, so be patient with it.. the strikes are def worth it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
It's definitely worth a try. I've had days where I day very well at night in certain rivers. Fishing mice is a blast along with the streamers that were mentioned.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know the Blue isn't a big river, but I had a great time one night several years ago. Just as it was getting dark I noticed some big rises and then saw green drakes. Didn't have a green drake pattern, but some humpies I had were about the right size and profile...figgered it was dark and the fish couldn't tell. I was casting and literally had to listen for the splash of the fish taking the fly. I caught quite a few really nice browns that night. This was about 10 miles downstream of Frisco and Silverthorne.
I have also night fished the S. Platte below Cheesman at night. There I used Copper Johns and did quite well.
I can see where dark wooly buggers would work in a river as they pretty much kick ass in a lake at night.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I've had great luck hucking lures in the dark and landed some real pigs. I usually use something with a little more thump or with rattles. Nothing better than the thrill of a hit you can't see or don't expect especially those right at your feet!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I need to try all of these out. Last night I stopped by the big river again. Whitefish orgy. They must have been spawning because they chased the size 6 Panther Martin. Never caught them before. Funny how they come out of the water and play dead, and then go wild when you try to get the hook out of that funny mouth.

I hear they are good eating...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sometimes when there are a lot of whitefish around(I think they spawn around this time of year) it's a good trick to cast a fly that starts tickling the bottom of the river behind the school of whitefish. Trout will park behind them and eat their eggs and what ever bugs they might be stirring up that drift downstream. Found that out on the Clark Fork in Montana one time.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
So I need to try all of these out. Last night I stopped by the big river again. Whitefish orgy. They must have been spawning because they chased the size 6 Panther Martin. Never caught them before. Funny how they come out of the water and play dead, and then go wild when you try to get the hook out of that funny mouth.

I hear they are good eating...
Lots of whiteys in there, and October is usually very good for them. Like Yearnin' said, try drifting a nymph or egg pattern through and immediately behind a pod of whites, as there's usually some trout hanging out there. I really like smoked whitefish, better than smoked trout IMO. Probably gonna hit my whitey spot this weekend...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts