Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are planning an August camping/fishing trip to Colorado.  We originally planned on staying in Rocky Mt National Forrest but now are exploring other options.  We are looking to fish in small high country streams.  Where would be the best combination of Camping and fishing in Colorado.  We would prefer to stay away from big crowds.  We would like to hike up to a couple miles to a good fishing spot.  If anyone has any cool spots we would really appreciate it.  We are open to any sugestions.

·
Banned
487 Posts
Its not really in th wildnerness, but if you want to fish a good river, pick the Colorado. Around state bridge and pumphouse it has tons of rainbows and browns, with many in the 15 - 20" range and occasionally better than that.
In glenwood canyon and below glenwood down to silt, the Colorado is home to trout that on average are the biggest in the state. Most of the big fish are rainbows, but there are big browns too. It's a realistic goal to catch several rainbows in the 4 - 7 pound range in a trip. I have landed rainbows up to 17 pounds in the river and browns up to 11. Huge fish.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
I have landed rainbows up to 17 pounds in the river and browns up to 11. Huge fish.
Woah!!! And I thought I knew everything about my home state. guess not. Some time in the near future, I'll have to head out there.

·
Banned
487 Posts
1eyeReD said:
IceInTheVeins said:
I have landed rainbows up to 17 pounds in the river and browns up to 11. Huge fish.
Woah!!! And I thought I knew everything about my home state. guess not. Some time in the near future, I'll have to head out there.

Trout over ten pounds aren't common here but they are caught sometimes. I would say the average fish runs 1 - 3 pounds and there are lots of 4 - 6 pounders. I would say you have to put in about 70 hours of fishing on the river to hook a ten pounder usually. But in the big, deep holes they are there. I would suggest either drifting nightcrawlers or using curly tail grubs or panther martins. If you want to catch them on a fly rod use nymphs, unless a hatch is on then use a matching dry and a dropper.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
The flattops have some good small streams and good lakes. There are so many nice places to camp and fish you might not see anyone if you pick the right place. Slayerfish knows the flattops well, ask him about a good place.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I would look in the Gunnison area, there are alot of streams and nice reservoirs there. Beautiful scenery and great fishing, with lots of camping options. Use google or your favorite search engine to find exactly what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
ePiC said:
I would look in the Gunnison area, there are alot of streams and nice reservoirs there. Beautiful scenery and great fishing, with lots of camping options. Use google or your favorite search engine to find exactly what you are looking for.
Good point epic. Easy to drive to, near towns, good fishing available at many places,etc. Also you can escape the summer heat

1 - 7 of 7 Posts