Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fly fishing for a few years now, mostly for warm water species. I started fishing a few high mountain lakes for trout last year, and now this spring, I've started fishing rivers. I have a few questions to help me move into river fishing:

- Can you recommend a set of waders/boots. Price isn't a major issue but I'm thinking something mid-range in quality is fine. Not sure of insulating properties but more versatile is probably better if I can just layer underneath. I don't expect any winter fishing.
-How far can you reasonably fish a small river in a day? I have a spot that requires a lengthy hike in to the river, then fish a 1.8 mile stretch and loop back. A good portion is fairly steep, canyon like so I'd like to be able to make the loop without backtracking or hiking out the steep stuff.

Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Check out the Orvis Silversonic waders, and Simms boots are the best...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I got some reddington breathables theyre great. I got em off amazon which were much cheaper. The only thing I suggest is make sure you get the re-enforced seams/pads on the knees. Absolutely get breathable waders though. Your thighs will thank you. As far as the boots I enjoy the felt sole but different people have different preferences. Also with the waders a good chest pocket is key

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Simms freestone waders with Simms freestone boots. Not super pricey, not cheap. Had mine for years and beat the crap out of the waders.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Not sure what I would recommend but can say that I do not like Korkers wading boots. Stepping on a rock feels like I am wearing 2x4's. There is no flex in the sole so I feel I don't get the traction or grip like other boots. Feels like my foot wants to pivot on the rock instead of gripping it.

If you go with Simms boots with Vibram use the cleats or the soles won't last. At least they don't for me. I am not a cleat fan, I walk and wade a lot and I don't get the mileage I think I should. If i wore the cleats they would be a fine choice.

Waders? I used to love Orvis (late 90's version). Still have that pair and they work fine( I think they shrunk some over the yrs ::) ) Don't care much for Orvis now. The last 6 yrs I have had to return waders 5 of those yrs. Seams have been an issue, be it at the stocking foot/leg seam or a crotch seam or a leg seam.. Can't recall the Guide wader name but returned those 3 times and Silversonic twice. Grant it they stand by their product but the last couple of times they treated me as if I was trying to get something from them. Each time the waders did not make it a yr. Sometimes less than 30 trips. I have a pair that the seam in the crotch is now leaking. Now it will be 6 out of 7.

Sorry I don't have recommendations for you but thought I would give you my experiences.

Hodgeman boots back in the day were very comfortable but they were felt. I too like felt. Some frown upon felt and feel that they promote invasive species transportation from 1 body of water to another more so than rubber.

I also like patagonia boots. But that was 13 yrs ago or so. They were light weight and very comfortable. I think they were a Vibram like sole and same issue as Simms soles but I was not fishing as much as I do now. So they seemed to last longer.

Will suggest a wading staff. I did not use one for many yrs but as I have gotten older I do like having it for crossing moving water. Not needed in smaller creeks but river it is real handy if there is waist deep crossing and rocky bottoms.

Sorry for the lengthy reply and that it did not have what you were asking for.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Picked up some cabela Guide Light boots with felt and spikes. What a difference they make wading nasty rivers full of cobble etc. Its been years since I used felt last pair was Simms with vibram something sole pretty good but no where as safe in the river like these.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I love my felt, can't lie. Spiked felt is a weird feeling to me, but most love it. I think the simms rivershed are great boots, but most important thing about boots is fit... be comfy...and like shoes, different brands fit better to different people (some wider, some narrower, etc).

Waders were an issue for me for years because I refused to buy good ones... Patagonia or Simms... simple. Don't have to get their highest end. I will emphasize, leaky waders are a great way to mess up tons of time on the water. Don't go cheapo on waders.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Check out LL Bean stuff. I heard good things and talked a buddy (Simpson) into guinea pigging their new waders. They look bomber and he likes 'em.

Or.......Patagonia's warranty and customer service can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I will say buy waders first so when you buy boots you will know how they fit together. As Oyey stated boots are like shoes and you will definitely want them comfy for long days on the water.

Plan ahead on what thickness of socks you will wear to keep your feet warm. Not real important in the summer as much as early spring late fall or winter time but something to have on your mind when you shop for waders and boots.

I wear two pairs of socks(a thin and a thick) in the colder months and one simi thick sock in summer.

Also turn your waders inside out after fishing in them to dry the sweat out before drying the outside and it does not take very long to dry the inside. I do this as soon as I take them off and prolly in 20 mins they are dry. This way your feet will be dry and warm the next day. This is more important in the colder months than the warmer ones, I also think it keeps the stink down as well.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As far as how far can you fish? Almost 2 miles of fishing inbetween 2 long hikes sounds like a long day to me. But I like to fish more thoroughly than a lot of people do, and not as young as I used to be. My advice is to save that trip for after you have tried some shorter jaunts and have a feeling for how far you will be comfortable fishing. A lot will depend on conditions, too, as far as how much you have to fight the current if the water is high.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I hope to get them this weekend and hit the river on Sunday. I fished it from the bank last weekend and managed 5 browns up to 16" and a 17" cutbow. Browns on a red copper john and cutbow hammered the royal wulff I was using as an indicator. I'm hoping to do better when I can fish it more effectively with waders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts