Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking through the 2005 reg book and had a question. The book says Big Thompson River trout must be returned to the water immediately from base of Olympus Dam at Lake Estes downstream to bridge at Waltonia.

Well, my question is, what about east of Waltonia? It doesnt say anything about that.

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
sounds like down stream of the bridge at waltonia it is just basic state regs unless there is a second entry for that river like the ark they have extra restrictions on several different streches but the rest of the river is just basic state regs

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
There should be a map on the DOW website... they said everything they couldnt fit into the book (like maps) is on the website... I'll see if I can find links.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I generally take it if it isnt in the book it follows under the normal fall back state general regulations...I thought they only listed the exceptions since not every lake or river in Colorado is in their book...

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
zman said:
I generally take it if it isnt in the book it follows under the normal fall back state general regulations...I thought they only listed the exceptions since not every lake or river in Colorado is in their book...
Yes but sometimes it gets confusing with the Arkansas drainage or south platte drainage, ect. How do you know if a certian river or creek is a drainage system or what not.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I thought it always listed the specific rivers...take the Poudre River north of Fort Collins...it addresses from the main river...to the Big South Fork and the North Fork...I just get out a map and see which tributary section or feeder creek I am fishing and see if it is named...I check by its name and I check to make sure it isnt named in the section for the major river it dumps into...it almost always is named under its specific name...

238. Poudre River - Larimer County
a. From the Rocky Mountain National Park boundary downstream to the confluence with
Joe Wright Creek:
1. Fishing is by artificial flies and lures only.
2. The bag and possession limit for trout is two fish.
b. From the upper boundary of the Big Bend campground downstream to the confluence
with Black Hollow Creek (?Section I?), and from the west boundary of the Hombre
Ranch (below Rustic) downstream to the Pingree Park Road/bridge (Section II?):
1. Fishing is by artificial flies and lures only.
2. All trout must be returned to the water immediately upon catch.
239. Poudre River, North Fork - Larimer County
a. From Bull Creek (above Halligan Reservoir) upstream to Divide Creek:
1. Fishing is by artificial flies or artificial lures only.
2. All trout must be returned to the water immediately upon catch.
240. Poudre River, South Fork - Larimer County
a. From the Rocky Mountain National Park boundary downstream for one mile:
1. Fishing is prohibited.

Or here is one that is split all over the place:

Colorado River section

d. 50 yards upstream and downstream of the confluences with Canyon, Grizzly and No
Name Creeks:
1. Fishing is prohibited from March 15 through May 15 and from October 1 through
November 30
You can also look up Canyon, Grizzly, and No Name Creeks to see what info there is...

47. Canyon Creek ? Garfield County
a. From the confluence with the Colorado River upstream to the north side of the I-70
Bridge:
1. Fishing is prohibited from March 15 through May 15 and from October 1 through
November 30.
126. Grizzly Creek ? Garfield County
a. From the confluence with the Colorado River upstream for ½ mile:
November 30.
217. No Name Creek ? Garfield County
a. From the confluence with the Colorado River upstream for 1/2 mile:
November 30.
They have gotten better over time as you can see by the Colorado River one and all the creeks in the same area...they try to give them the same regs...

The Delaney Buttes used to be a nightmare...the South one was bait no size restrictions...North had a size restriction for its Browns and no bait...and East was no bait but you could keep all sized browns...so you had a 16 inch brown from east and were fishing north they had no idea where it came from and it just created confusion...they are trying to make everything consistant...it is why the plastic scent thing is so puzzling...an enforcement nightmare...think they would of learned...

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
the ark and republican "drainages" used to have different (higher) bag and possession limits i think next year it will only be the ark drainage and the dow has a curde map of the drainages somewhere i just cant find it now but basicaly if the water from the creek ends up in the ark it is part of that drainage so i just trace it down stream on a map to find out most of the other regs such as bait restrictions and reduced bag limits are on a water by water description you just have to do like zman pointed out and read everything that is related to make sure you get them all

1 - 7 of 7 Posts