Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The closest river to me has gotten down to fishable levels. The heavily abused Merrimack River. Which had a history of mills and logdrives. You could walk bank to bank on the colorfully dyed river back in the day. Now it has a healthy smallmouth population and I even caught my first andomadous fish.. A Herring! Now I can go forth and chop down the mightiest tree in the forest!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
0ne of the things I miss most about the midwest is the river smallies. we could have them here if the biologist would get there head out of there asses,but whats the chances of that ever happening

·
Registered
88 Posts
One of the best smallie rivers I know is the Buffalo in Arkansas. Fished it last May an was the greatest trip I ever had.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Liked my trip to southwest Missouri last summer. Kayak fished the Elk River and had my best smallmouth fish experience ever. 6 to 16 inches almost all on a craw colored Ned rig. Got my first rock bass also.
Plan on going back this year and hitting it again in a canoe with a bud.
Loved catching those river smallies. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I currently live in NW Arkansas. In addition to the Buffalo and Elk, if you are in north Arkansas or southern Missouri I would also recommend:

Current River (MO)
Elevenpoint River (MO) - upstream of Greer Spring Branch
Kings River (AR)
North Fork (MO)

These are some prime smallie rivers. Not really hotspotting, because I am sure not many will ever venture to these parts but I assure you it is worth a vacation. The Elevenpoint is my favorite as it offers a diversity of species. Great warm water fishing above Greer Spring and trophy cold water fishing downstream.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I floated the James River quite a few years ago and caught quite a few LMB. Wanted to try the New River for SMB but didn't have the time to fit it into the vacation. Heading back to VA this year in Sept. Might need to give it a go this trip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts