Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions on what rivers to hit for a chance at a big Brown trout? I am on vacation all next week and would like to take a few days and go river fishing. I know I won't get any honey holes and thats all right but if anybody could point me in the right direction that would be great.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Anywhere along the gunnison or taylor in the fall/winter months is good and I'd say Spinney ranch too.

I

·
0 Posts
Give the "Dream Stream" a shot. The stretch between elevenmile and spinney. Not only do you have a shot at some brute browns but you might get into some nice cutbows. The Big Thompson is always a good bet just below the olympus damn.

·
Registered
16,538 Posts
Dude the north platte in wyo. is as close to a guarantee as you will find! If you must do colo., I mentioned this before but the So. Platte above Strontia has some nice browns.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Define "big".....
18-20" = nice
20-25" = good
25-30" = big
30"+ = huge

The Poudre has plenty of nice and a few good browns, but you'll have to cover a lot of water to get'em. My personal best out of the Poudre is a 25" brown and a 24" bow, but that was 4 years ago when 18" fish were a dime a dozen. The river is wicked low right now.....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I agree with Slayer! North Platte in Wyoming and this is the best time of year to a huge brwn. I landed an eight last year up there. Not huge huge but plenty of fun!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dont forget TFB and Ice's best river the Colorado, I've seen some nice browns they pulled out of there.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
epic is right.
Colo river is supreme.
In the past 3 weeks I've caught 3 browns 4 lbs or better, including one that was an 8 pounder. I was pretty happy about that. Of course, with those big browns I caught plenty of "nasty" rainbows and cutbows that were 1-4 pounds. Nobody wants those do they ::) :p Lol ;) Colo is supreme, a hole about 200-300 yards, more of a run actually, below grizzly creek inlet is producing well. The bite at confluence w/ fork is done now (ends in mid oct), and the bite in the lower river (my secret holes) is getting especially good.
Actually, the no name creek confluence was the best, they closed it a few years ago though. That stinks because no browns spawn in that creek and only 3 people (myself, iceintheveins, and my dad) can legally fish there anyway. lol
Oh well, plenty of fish in that river and plenty of places to fish.
Forgot the new castle hole, elk creek confluence, etc, etc, etc

TOO many good places.
Caught 26 trout from late yesterday through early today, 16 bows, 1 8", 8 1-2 pounders, 5 2-3 pounders, 2 4 pound plus, 10 browns, 3 7-10", 6 12-16", 1 21" 4 pound male.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Colorado River and The Gunnison River have monsters. Blue Mesa also has a lot of big browns. Use nightcrawlers or jigs on the rivers, and spoons or jigs in lakes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts