Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did it!

I caught my first bass today!

I fished a couple of hours this afternoon and nailed this guy on a rat-l-trap. These guys fight like CRAZY. They jump alot as well. This was alot of fun. I was shaking when i caught him. I never "lipped" a fish before so I'll admit it I was scared to try it. I hope I'm holding him right. I spent alot of last fall trying for one with no avail but now I guess I better join the bassmaster tour. Ha Ha!

I know it's not a big one but I'm proud as hell of him. If you guys can tell will you let me know if it's a largemouth or a small mouth?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice job...that's a largemouth. No question. The difference between biggies and smallies is the color pattern. Largemouth almost always have a black blotches in a horizontal line down the middle where as smallies tend to have a vertical or "scattered" pattern.

Largemouth also get their name from having that huge bucketmouth that dwarves(sp) in comparison to the smallmouth.

Smallies tend to be a bronze color where as largemouth will be mostly green. However, I have seen green smallies and largemouth with yellowish tint.

Smallies can pack a much better fight pound for pound than the largemouth but the largemouth found in Colorado are predominantly bigger than the smallies. There are major differences in spawn habits as well...I can go on and on here but you pretty much get the idea.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Walking Eagle said:
Hatchmaster said:
I guess I better join the bassmaster tour. Ha Ha!
I hear Ranger and Toyota have a couple of pro sponsorships open. Go for it!
(Sorry, Iaconelli, that was mean.)   ;)
Kekeke.... You're one mean guy WE.. Hatchmaster, CONGRATS!!! That's one of my all time favorite spring fish to catch!

NICE!!

1eyeReD

M

·
0 Posts
congrats on your first bass, good fightin fish! smallmouth also, the jaw doesnt extend passed the eye like it does on a largemouth

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Alright Hatch!!!! 2006 is going to be your year, your first Mackinaw and your first Largemouth!!!! Whats next?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mustang said:
congrats on your first bass, good fightin fish! smallmouth also, the jaw doesnt extend passed the eye like it does on a largemouth
Nice fish biology mustang, I would agree with you that the bass is a small mouth. But all i can say is congrats on your first bass man.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Awsome fish Hatchmaster!  Looking to hit the ponds this weekend........snow or no snow!!!
Are RAttle-traps deep diving lures?

Pondfisher

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Agreement with atownbasser on the largemouth.
You can't go by where the jaw ends when you're holding the fish by the lip because the back of the jaw moves forward to a point well ahead of the eye.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
definatly a large mouth and a nice size one to boot i wish half my bass were that size

congrats

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pondfisher-The rat-l-trap is a deep diver if you let it. It falls really fast so at riverbend I start cranking before it its the water or it's coming up weedy every time.

So do we agree it's a largemouth?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've never understood the DOW pushing the idea that the best way to determine if a fish is a smallmouth or largemouth is to do the "does the jaw extend beyond the eye" test. Sure, that's one way to do it, another way is to just look at the body of the fish. The colors and patterns of largemouths and smallmouth are pretty distinguishable.

Smallmouth:

Largemouth:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
MileHighBassin said:
I've never understood the DOW pushing the idea that the best way to determine if a fish is a smallmouth or largemouth is to do the "does the jaw extend beyond the eye" test. Sure, that's one way to do it, another way is to just look at the body of the fish. The colors and patterns of largemouths and smallmouth are pretty distinguishable.
I have to agree some times its very obvious, but sometimes its a little more difficult. Here are a couple small mouths that could be confused.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts