Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
First off...GR8 FISH...now on the I.D., it is definately a Largemouth. Look at the color, mouthand eyes of the fish...that jaw extension has no proof. Just my opinion, and by the way, I have caught a probably a few hundred LM in these ponds and never once seen a Smallie!!!

TONY

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't care if its a largemouth or a smallmouth. You caught your first bass and that is what is important. Congratulations! Now you will be addicted.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah spotted bass look like large mouth, but i was told they are darker, thats not so great of a description.... cant they inner breed as well ?

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I agree that it is a largemouth. The black horizontal stripe gives it away, not to mention smallmouths have vertical stripes (at least in MI and WI). Either way, nice catch and congrats on your first bass. What's next...wiper, walleye and/or pike?

·
Registered
578 Posts
Nice first bass! Great job! As everyone else says: it IS definately a LM. I fish those ponds all the time and have never seen a sm come out of there. Lots of LM's in there. A lot of crappie too when you can find them!

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Nice Largemouth man! You have just taken your first step into a much larger world. ;D

Pardon the pun, but I'll bet this years lunker that this time, the fisherman was the one who was "hooked". Once you get that first bass, there's just no turning back!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
nice largemouth hatchmaster. Smallies are brown, largemouth are green in all the places I've ever seen. Easy to tell the difference. The easiest way to tell if they are colored the same is largemouth have a horizontal stripe and smallmouth have vertical stripes. The jaw thing works too, but can be confused.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Ahh what the heck, I'll chime in on the LM or SM debate. Keep fishing for bass, Hatch... Once you've caught a few LM and a few SM.. You wouldn't need to think twice to determine what kind of bass it is.

1eyeReD

·
Registered
935 Posts
Color is often so muted on largemouths that you can't see a horizontal stripe, but if you see it, it is a definite indicator for largemouth.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
JTBASS, i think it's pretty sad that you (a so called bass fisherman) don't know where riverbend ponds are. >:D
just jokin jerm. ;D

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok guys...That fish is a spotted bass. The jaw thing works, but not to distinguish between a smallie and a largemouth. If the fish has the markings of a largemouth, but the jaw doesn't extend past the eye, AND it has a small patch of 'teeth' on the tongue, it's a spot, or Kentucky bass. If the jaw extends past the eye and there is no patch on the tongue, it's a largemouth.
AT ANY RATE, Nice fish Hatchmaster! LM, SB, or SM, it's a good one to start with!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts