Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hitting the ponds a bit over the last few weeks. Largemouth action was good there for a couple weeks. I was catching 12-15" bass regularly on the big pond in the deeper channels that are dredged around the edges (especially the west side) Water temp was 50 degrees and fish were in the channels near cover. x-rap and 4" weightless senko were the winners.

The pattern has changed this week and I can't find the bass now. Water temp is in the mid 50's. Carp have moved into the shallow 1' water on the north end and bass are nowhere to be found. I managed to catch a couple small bass yesterday (10" was the largest) I'm not sure if the bigger fish are females who are gearing up for spawn or what. I have caught a couple big (12-13") crappies on the senko (surprized the heck out of me).

further bulletins as events warrant.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice report. As for my friends and I we've only had luck on Crappie at RB in the Wiper Pond using jigs under a bobber. Other then that we haven't had much action. I'll let you know though if I get anything to hit if we're over there anytime soon.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I fished River bend for the first time on Sunday and had one good Bass about 16" in the big pond and then the wind came up and it all stopped. However I found a large group of Trout trolling the most easterly pond. I think a Fly would have worked them over but the wind must have been about 60 mph by then so I went home. I think I'll give it a go Friday agian.

·
Registered
119 Posts
A few years ago, I used to hammer the trout at the pond named, appropriately enough, "Trout Pond". Stockers only, but there were a ton of them. Also "Wiper Pond" has wiper in it -- man, Larimer County officials must be up all night trying to think of such creative names.

On a related note, "Big Bass" pond at Arapahoe Bend Ponds had a lot of nice-sized bass when the ponds first opened about 8 years ago, but "Skunk Pond" was never very good (OK, I made the last one up).

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The info I got from the DOW says that the 'trout pond' has trout in the winter. I don't know if this is true or how it works. I can't imagine that they take the trout out on the summer or that they all die when the weather gets warm...who knows. I'm sure there's some in that pond, but i've never fished for them. I've caught a couple small largemouths in the wiper pond...I'm pretty sure that one is really deep and it has a sandy bottom as well (not muck like the big pond) I'd bet it has some big largemouths and wiper lurking in the depths.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I fished the big pond on the 28th from about 2-5pm and caught 1 LM bass on a spinnerbait no other bites though.I was wondering if you can take a float tube out the,does anyone know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
as far as I know your allowed to take float tubes/small watercraft out on those ponds. I've seen people out there before on them and on kayaks and canoes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I feel your pain Farmer Ted. I have been trying to figure out the bass bite myself. Senkos are not pulling them in like Im used to. I have found that all the strikes I have been getting are extremely close to cover. I have been casting as close as I dare to fallen trees and such. In the past (pre-senko years) small spinners have done well during this time for me...didnt produce large bass...but on a fishless day..any bass is a good bass

Pondfisher

·
Registered
153 Posts
Where are the riverbend ponds... I would like to get some of those carp!!! lol... I am new to Ft. Collins seeing as how I am a freshman at CSU... just want a few decent places to fish.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For the past month, I have been using senkos with pretty good results. Then
about a week ago, they weren't working as well. I started using a mister-
twister with a double tail in either white or chartruese. See if that helps.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TimberlineArcher said:
Where are the riverbend ponds... I would like to get some of those carp!!! lol... I am new to Ft. Collins seeing as how I am a freshman at CSU... just want a few decent places to fish.
Riverbend is off of Prospect east of timberline. There are about 6 or 7 ponds on the north side of prospect. There is a marked parking area. If you drive out on prospect to the freeway, you will see riverbend, can't miss it. the 'big pond' is where the carp are on the northeast and northwest side. There are vast shallow areas of 1 foot of water with a mucky bottom. you can wade it and pretty much sight fish the carp. They stay in this area all summer. I would be interested in how you fly fish for carp...what patterns to use etc. There are some huge ones in there but I think my 5 wt fly rod might break if i hooked into a 20lb carp ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts