Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Riverbend this afternoon.  I was using a little jig and curly tail on one rod and a Yammamoto (Spelling?) tube on another.  First couple casts I hooked this fella

Measured up around 16 inches....good fight

Switched to the slower presentation with the tube and caught these two...

This one put up a good fight...tried to escape in some sunken brush.

I saw easily the biggest bass in the pond cruising around some underwater brush......didnt want anything I had to offer. 
There were tons of carp jumping and splashing all over the place.  Water is still a bit cool but warming quickly.  Good ole Spring!!!!

Just wanted to share....

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
Thanks for the heads up pondfisher...I was wondering when riverbend would wake up again. It had been real good for a few weeks and then dead for a few weeks. Anyway, I went out today and managed to catch one fat one that was around 15" I was using a texas rigged 4" tube with a pegged bullet weight about 15" above the tube.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice fish Farmer Ted! Do you use the weight for casting distance? I find that when a worm doesnt get them to bite, a tube will do the trick but I cannot cast the tube as far....weight/wind resistance....

I thought about fishing with weights and plastics but always thought it might take away from the action of the lure...your idea about the pegged bullet weight above the lure sounds like a good idea...

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
The pegged weight does help with casting distance, but the main reason I use it is that if I peg it about 12-18" above the tube, then the weight sinks to the bottom and the tube sort of floats weightlessly above the weight and the bottom. I retrieve the setup with twitchy jigging motions and as the weight bounces along the bottom the tube sort of darts and floats above it (kind of like a weightless senko). The bass love it!

It is pretty much the same effect as a carolina rig but simpler because there's no swivel and you can slip the weight up and down the line to expirement with the action. I peg the bullet weight by sticking a toothpick in the back and then breaking it off. It's a really weedless and fairly snag-proof setup.

I had heard of pros doing this with plastic worms back when I was fishing a lot as a teenager (mid 80's) and I thought I'd try it now with tubes...It has worked exceptionally well the last few weeks.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Ted next time you are bass pro pick up a few Bass Pro Shops® Sinker Stops. Work fantastic for pegging a wieght plus you can adjust the length easily.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Nice fish! Have you tried drop-shoting? It works great with tubes or anything else that you want to suspend, but still cast a long ways. I did real well last year on bright days in clear water. If you want any more info let me know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Where are the riverbend ponds located i was curious i might want to try them out always curious about new places to fish.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Riverbend ponds are in Ft. Collins off of East Prospect. Cant miss em. I think you cant fish them after 10 or 11PM...people still do though.....

thanks for the tip Farmer Ted, gotta try that.

PondFisher

1 - 10 of 10 Posts