Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the ponds from about 4pm to 7pm  ...awsome time.

I caught a dozen crappie or so...a few pushed 12-13 inches.  I was fishing with the tiniest jig my line could handle and those Berkely trout maggotish plastics.  The panfish hit that all day. Caught countless sunfish (Blue gill ectt).

While I was lifting this one 8 inch crappie out of the water, a brown blur shot out of the water and tapped the crappie.  I thought it was maybe a carp that I scared.  I decided to put down my crappie pole and pick up my bass rod rigged with a yammamoto tube (black and silver flake).  My first cast to the spot produced my largest bass of the season.....18 inches.

The bass wasnt really green but brownish with funny patterns on it.  Its eyes were redish.. For a second, it looked like a smallmouth......

Just wanted to share..

Pondfisher

·
Registered
664 Posts
Congrats pondfisher, 18 inches is master angler length. Sounds like a great day.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
the brownish bass with the red eye is a smallmouth bass!!! they are really strong fighters, good job!!!

·
Registered
664 Posts
mista tuan said:
the brownish bass with the red eye is a smallmouth bass!!! they are really strong fighters, good job!!!
I don't think there are any smallies in riverbend. I guess it's possible but it's more than likely a largemouth with a different color variation. What pond was it in pondfisher? The only pond I could really picture smallmouth being in would be the wiper pond but I think they're all too warm and shallow. Just a hunch.

If it was a smallmouth that's a hell of a fish. Congrats either way.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!
Yeah...I was thinking the same thing....I have always read that smallies live in cooler waters.  The red eyes did freak me out though.  All the bass I catch have black...this one was red....maybe he/she was pissed...I guess I would be to....Id want a little pay back.....Id plan to trip up the ******* while he wades and ..........ohh sorry. :)

I keep forgetting the name of the pond but its the one right by the intersection of Prospect and the Poudre River.  Its a small pond but for some reason I have ok luck there. 

All my knowledge on bass gained from this site and the public library say that a smallie cant live in those ponds...but it sure did look like one..... But I have caught some bass who had very odd color variations.     The pic of the bass by my name had strange colorings as well. 

·
Registered
119 Posts
Quite a few years ago (~10), I used to catch quite a few smallies (8-10 inches) from the medium-sized pond right along Prospect Road, just south from the big pond with all the dead trees. So, they're in there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Pondfisher said:
I keep forgetting the name of the pond but its the one right by the intersection of Prospect and the Poudre River. Its a small pond but for some reason I have ok luck there.
Yup, that's the one I used to catch smallies from. I used to hammer them on live grass hoppers that I would catch while on shore. It was a fun way to fish.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fished the ponds again....tube is quickly becoming my favorite over the senko.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts