Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My grandpa was a member of river cliff fishing club in Colorado back in the 50's and 60's I think. I think the river was the Platte. It was located within an hour of Denver I think. I live in new Orleans and I am just looking for any info I can find. Has anyone ever heard of river cliff? Any ideas on the location? Coordinates? All I have heard were stories about the place from my dad and I just want to see some more info. Thank you

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I wonder if this is a reference to Red Cliff? There is an area called Red Cliff and the Platte runs through the area. It's in South Park, about two hours from Denver.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It would actually be the South Platte. The previous post is referring to the North Fork of the South Platte. Doubt that there are any records on the internet of that fishing club and unlikely that anyone from back in those days is on this site. If I remember correctly, there is/was a club in that area called the Wigwam club. That is the only one I have ever heard of.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rivercliff -Near Bailey

There was a fishing club called Rivercliff outside of Bailey CO on the North Fork of the South Platte River. It was in Estabrook CO (or near it). My Grandparents had a place just down the road from Rivercliff. Mapquest Estabrook CO and you will see it is on Highway 68(use satellite view and pan in as much as you can). There is a point just East of the Estabrook mark where Hwy 68 curves South and the river curves North. The road that heads strait East of the Estabrook mark, I believe is the road into where the Rivercliff fishing lodge was. I was a kid when we would visit, so my directions MAY be off... but that is what I remember.
Hope this helps.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Estabrook&state=CO

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well my grandmother worked there about 50 years ago and I remember visiting her there and trout fishing when I was 15. It was on the North Fork of the South Platt. :cool:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but I remember going to a big old hotel on the S. Platte, and I think it might have been called South Platte City? Anybody remember that place? I think it was a white frame building. I was kind of associating that with River Cliff.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think that's it - thanks! Course I remember it as being bigger and grander, but that's from the eyes of a seven year old. Wonder where it was? Seems like close to a river, but Jefferson doesn't really have any rivers, does it? Edit - googled it and it's Conifer, making it Jeffco, not Jefferson.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is Rivercliff

My great great grandparents built Rivercliff in Estabrook. It was a vacation home. It's really amazing. So you're right about the location being near Baily. I hope you found it. We are going to go see it again as my mother spent a lot of time there as a child. Road trip. It just sold recently, we saw online. Did you visit? I see this thread is about 4 years old.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts