Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to go to Forbay today, but when I woke my dad up at 5:30, he wasn't down. So I woke him up to go the RMA around 7:00. Today is the last day you can fish there, except for a few hours next week. I wanted to get another pike, so we strted at Ladora right by the house thing. I threw out a super spook and on the first cast got a huge hit. After a few moe casts, I switched to an oange buzzbait. On the 2nd cast, BOOM, I got my pike. We tried a few more things there, but we didn't get anything, so we went down to Mary. We tried everything without any luck, until I borrowed the fly rod my dad was using. We have both caught trout on flies, especially my dfad, but never any bass. I tried a yellow popper and sure enough, I got my first bass on a fly rod. That was fun. My dad was jealous, haha. Anyway, we left at 11:00

Perfect day, dreary, chilly, slight rain every now and then....perfect!

BTW, my dad has a skunk he is willing to give away for free if anyone is interested, I swear he needs to drop this skunk.

Pike, small but a fighter, with a big scar above his dorsal fin, ranger suggested bald eage attack?

Bass on the fly.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Nice! Love those pike! Bassin' on a fly rod is very succesful. There are a lot of times when I wish I would brought the fly rod when bassin'...especially when I see them launching out of the water for dragonflies.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I'll have to agree with Matt nothing is cooler then seeing a largemouth jump a foot or 2 out of the water trying to hit a dragon fly.
Those are some nice looking fish, I think the RMA was a good call today hit it up while its still open.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bass on the fly awesome ....I've had a few hits on zara spooks like that this year makes you wonder how big the fish actually was ...my biggest ever at the arsenal was 42' but I've heard of bigger ....

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, there is a pic of some dude with a 24 poiund pike on the wall there!! thats huge! some dude was babbling about a 9 pound bass he caught at ladora today, but i am gonna have to doubt it, he didnt have a scale or anything and u know how fish stories are, five pounds maybe, but not nine

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can tell you this much ive been bass fishing in colorado for a long time ...and at the arsenal, I fished it back when they had the lottery there and you could fish all week . The biggest I've caught is maybe on the lower end of 8lbs if I was lucky ...but thats out of hundreds of fish. I was to young at the time to realize how big the fish actually was...when ever I go to my parents house and check the picture out I wish I would have gotten a length and girth messurement. If I caught one that big now you can believe I would get all the numbers I needed to get a close estimate ....I dont doubt that the arsenal has a few bass that are over 10lbs...but still tough to believe

·
Registered
24,633 Posts
Still a nice Pike...any Pike is a nice Pike...great pictures!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Great job on the fish! Flyfishing for bass sounds fun! When I try (try is the keyword!) to flyfish I have to have the area behind me completely clear so I don't snag on the back cast. How did you keep that from happening to you?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, im 6 foot 5 and when i hold the rod up it pretty tall, so i just sop my back cast around 12 and watch it fly back then fling it forward, just have to be careful

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Nice looking pike! I wanted to get out there before they closed for the year, but it ain't gonna happen. Oh well. I heard a rumor that they may allow float tubes on the big lake next year. Is it gonna happen?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dunno, i kinda would hope not, just because that would attract more fisherman, and i dont want that

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Mustang --- I think I'm in the (way) background of your Pike photo. I was bummed their fishing season over. Thanks for your tips on the place. I got my 1st Pike today.  8)  Wicked fish! Tell your Dad not to feel bad. I've never been skunked there (for Bass), until today. Actually everyone I talked to (on Lake Mary) was skunked for Bass. Other than the Pike, I only caught a Bluegill.  :-[
By the way, was the dude talking about a 9 pound Bass one of 2 punk kids, wearing either red or black ? Theese Jacka...(just kidding Dan ;D) knuckleheads caught a Bass. I would guess 5 maybe 5 & 1/2 pounds (definatly not more than 6). They brought the fish fom the water up to the road (up and back again) 3 times! When they were about to finaly release it, some other clown yells that he wants to see it! He at last said that they should let it go, but then as an after thought offers to get his scale! Supposedly they had weighed it w/ their scale at 9. I was raging. I didn't say anything because at the time I was fishless, and didn't want anyone to think I was bitter (I was   :-\). If I had caught even one fish though... I would have thrown them in the lake w/ the fish. ;) I thought my buddy was going to kill them. He was over by them, and after the fish had been out of the water for like 5 minutes, they held it up to him, and asked what he thought of it. I'm going off, but some of the people that fish there...
Mustang nice report though. You must have just posted while I was typing this. I have to say float tubes or not, the place will probably be a zoo next season. The dark shadow of Bass Pro Shops (not that I'm not happy we're getting one) is already looming over the place.  :(

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yup, one of those two kids...

i sent u a pm to get my true feeling sout ;D ;D ;D

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
when they first reopened the arsenal the class was about 30-45 mins it talked a little bit about properly releasing northerns for a little bit but was still mostly about where you could and couldnt fish ....this year the class was 5 minutes ....I don't know what the arsenal has to gain by getting more and more people to fish there. They have got to government funded so whats the deal with tryin to cram the place. At least when they would only let 30 people on the refugee and you had to make reservations it was like they cared about the fish. Now it seems like the arsenal is turning into nothing more than a staged photo opp. with a big fish. I love catching big fish but there needs to be more rules that are enforced. I hope that largemouth made it but more then likely swam away to die in the next couple of hours. Every year my trips to the arsenal(which is within 15 mins of my house) become fewer and farther between. It's very sad to see whats become of the arsenal and even more grim to think of whats in the future. I love the place and its with out a doubt where my passion for bass fishing was born. When I was a kid you could fish there during the week and only see one or two people ...three at most. Next year I think a test should be taken to fish it ...and a no tolerance policy should be put in place. If you are caught keeping a fish out of water for a long period of time for a picture...just like that your priviledge is gone for the year. If you are caught pike fishing without jaw spreaders and pliers ...bam your gone. It's unlikely any of these changes will take place so instead of going to the arsenal for headaches i'll try to find more remote locations where I can have fun being in the outdoors. For me its all about the respect for the outdoors...If you kill a fish to for a picture then release it you dont respect that fish, and dont understand the meaning of connecting with the outdoors.

Just a thought maybe some of us should volunteer next year so we can make sure more boneheads dont kill fish!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts