Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a road trip to RMNP this May, and I have a few questions I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out with. A little background: My brother and I are headed out to the park the latter part of May and are hoping to fish the high lakes on the east side as well as creeks/rivers on both the east and the west side. We were wondering 1.Would you recommend taking waders? We plan on making hikes that may be 5+ miles each way. Didn't know if it is worth bringing them along, or if we wouldn't miss them much if we didn't pack them in. 2. Are the high lakes usually open enough to fish in late May? We are attempting to create our "plan of attack", and we are wondering if the lakes would be an option. Any and all responses are appreciated as well as any other insight you may have with regards to fishing that area in late May. Thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Barring a very warm spell, the lakes will probably still be frozen. Even if they are thawed, plan on postholing to get there. As for fishing the east and west sides, Trail Ridge usually doesn't open until Memorial Day, so you would have to take the long way around.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Mr. Salmo's advice is spot on. Regarding your waders question, IF the lakes are open enough to fish and you can get to them that early, you shouldn't need waders in general.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for your input guys, I truly appreciate it. Looks like we'll be fishing the moving H2O this time and hopefully make it out later in the summer next year to hit the lakes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts