Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be heading from Denver to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in late June.  Plan on spending about six days making the trip.  Drive a day, fish a day.  Am presently planning my route and am considering traveling the first day to the Black Hills of South Dakota and then on to Whitewater State Park in MN.  These are just preliminary plans.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or other ideas on places to river fish for trout on the way.  Thanks for any help.  Fish on!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I'm going to be there the last week of June and first week of July. I'm not fishing on the way, but if you want to catch a few fish when you get there, let me know. Wheres in da UP r ya go'in?

·
Registered
624 Posts
Welcome the the board Nympho ... uh .... nymph-n-maniac! Just a suggestion, but it would be hard to go wrong by heading north through Wyoming. I can p.m. you some "secret" spots on public water. And don't forget Nunya Creek! Good luck. :-\

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tim-COS said:
Are you going to bring your boat?  or just fish from shore?
Thought about bringing the canoe, but will probably fish from shore and wade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TAL0362 said:
I'm going to be there the last week of June and first week of July.  I'm not fishing on the way, but if you want to catch a few fish when you get there, let me know.  Wheres in da UP r ya go'in?
Will be spending most of my time in the Marquette area with a possible trip to Hazelhurst, WI.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Lots of great fly fishing water to ply up there. The Brule, Fox, Two Hearted, and Paint come to mind. I like brookie streams like the upper portions of the Ontanogan, Fire Steel, Sturgeon, Gratiot, Little Carp, and Pilgram rivers. So much water so little time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TAL0362 said:
Lots of great fly fishing water to ply up there.  The Brule, Fox, Two Hearted, and Paint come to mind.  I like brookie streams like the upper portions of the Ontanogan, Fire Steel, Sturgeon, Gratiot, Little Carp, and Pilgram rivers.   So much water so little time.
Thanks for all the tips. Have fished the stretch of the Yellow Dog up by Big Bay but will definitely explore others that you've mentioned.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
so many waters, so little time......fish a day, drive a day? thats the easy way. how about fish all day drive all night! fuel yourself with mountaindew and GORP!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I'm going to focus on Keweenaw bay and Portage lake - boat fishing. Maybe a day trip to the Little Carp, I haven't been there in a long time - to bring back some memories. I'm also planning on running out to Stannard Rock. Any one that is in the neighborhood then would be welcome to split gas money for a guided day on the water.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Only once Paddlefish - 2 years ago on my friend Steve's boat. Now I have a boat of my own with the range to make the trip from my mom's(Portage Entry), about 60 miles. So thats the plan for this summer. I think its about 40 from Marquette or Lac Labelle, but that would be a couple hours in the truck too.

Here are some pictures from the "Rock".

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Yeah,

The dude in the red shirt (Steve) knows the Rock.

The Rock, an experience of a life time. I was watching "big" lakers roll on surface, and looking at the reef (shoal) there were dozens of fish, like an aquarium.

A monster followed Dean's fish (first fish photo) out of the deep. I thru my jig to it but it would have none of it. I would have loved to know how big the following fish was, because it "dwarfed" Deans fish in the water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts