Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my brother left friday to gunnison, we fished friday afternoon, saturday and this morning, all togather we caught and released over 100 kokanee salmon, we used pink tasmians these were most productive, we also used arnies, krocidiles, kastmasters , and i caught afew on the fly rod with a pink fly, i saw tons of schools when the sun was out, we both had an awesome time, the ranger told us he was going to close the ponds soon because there was so many salmon, the kokanee were between 18 to 20 inches and very fat, i have some pics but im still not sure how to post um

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Those are some nice looking fish, what a difference a week or 2 makes. I still had fun when I was up there though... Did you guys only target the salmon or you catching some trout too?

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i caught acouple browns but for the most part we were after the kokes, every year in august we go up around the third weekend usually they are in there, but this year there was tonds of um they were stacked all over the place

F

·
0 Posts
nice fish ....how long does it take to get up there and did you keep any to eat

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it takes about 3 and 1/2 hours to get up there i go threw leadville to buena vista and over cottonwood pass, the other way takes longer, i did have to keep 1 because it died, but other then that i released um all, your not suppose to keep them as they are the 4 year olds and the divison of wildlife milks them for milt and eggs, the ponds are right next to the hatchery, not sure how much longer they will stay open

F

·
0 Posts
cool......I want to get on some kokanee but dont have a boat and dont want to deal with all the people at green mountain snagging that place is a zoo.........Ill just have to bring the camera

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
me and my brother were the only ones fishing the ponds, it was awesome we had space and dident have people to bother us, i agree green mountain is a zoo i have some other lakes were i snag were there is never anyone but thats my own secret locations

F

·
0 Posts
I have a few of my own but they arent for salmon.....places you fish without anyone else are great and the secret should be held onto ......hopefully my locations wont be discoverd by anyone and my sons will fish there with no people to bother them

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
It takes about 3 hours to get there over cottonwood pass or over monarch pass from the springs.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There some large rainbows in there. In the winter they close the road to the ponds and 4 to 5 pound rainbows are pretty common. I don't know if there brood stock or swim up from the river. Rarely ever fished in the winter along with just about everything else around Gunnison that time of year.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i caught some 17 18 inch rainbows last year in the ponds in the first week of august , while i was fishing the kokanee i saw some decent rainbows and browns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts