Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Spinney being a month out and cabin fever setting in decided to hook up the rv and head to the Texas coast. Site castin to redfish and speckled trout with the 8wt on the flats in the clear water is always rewarding.

Crab and shrimp flys will fool the reds and clousers, deceivers and poppers are tops for the trout. Got my PB red at 27 1/2 " as he was chasin bait in 1 fow.

Been 80* here and spring breakers are starting to roll in. Can I do 2 more weeks of this---- I think so.... Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Funny thing happened today. We are camped right on the water and as I'm sitting there having coffee I look out the rear window and see birds diving and the water boiling. Knew it was a herd of reds bustin bait so throw on the flats boots and grab the 8wt. Got to 40' and let the crab fly with instant hook-up. Seen some backing before he came to hand-26" redfish.

Did'nt spook the herd and picked off 2 more for a quick limit in 1/2 hr. Back to finish my coffee, clean some feesh and redfish on the half shell with a mango salsa for me and a few of my camping buds for supper. Tightlinez

Attachments

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Funny thing happened today. We are camped right on the water and as I'm sitting there having coffee I look out the rear window and see birds diving and the water boiling. Knew it was a herd of reds bustin bait so throw on the flats boots and grab the 8wt. Got to 40' and let the crab fly with instant hook-up. Seen some backing before he came to hand-26" redfish.

Did'nt spook the herd and picked off 2 more for a quick limit in 1/2 hr. Back to finish my coffee, clean some feesh and redfish on the half shell with a mango salsa for me and a few of my camping buds for supper. Tightlinez
AWESOME!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Incredible... Is there anything better in fishing than seeing a bait ball blitz??? Please stay there, stay there forever. You can't possibly act like Spinney compares that that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You have to love it when the "PLAN" comes together, that 8wt. will make you happy you trout fish with a 5wt. in the summer!!
Bill

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
That is awesome!!!!

Nice trip sir.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Great stuff Vinnie! I am heading down to port Mansfield in 3 weeks. I'll be packing the 8wt and other gear for if the wind is too much. Super cool to see your success.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
well that trip seems almost as good as catching Wy trout or CC walleye bwahhhhhhh Colorado fishing really does suck compared to whats out there.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great stuff Vinnie! I am heading down to port Mansfield in 3 weeks. I'll be packing the 8wt and other gear for if the wind is too much. Super cool to see your success.
clousers-deceivers>>> chart/white--black/white--red/white

crab flys>> black and brown

poppers and gurglers for topwater

For spinning the only bait is the topwater super spook jr.>>bone is a top producer and walk the dog. Explosive blowups...

Really when there feeding they'll eat a turd.. GL

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions, already packed topwaters and some soft plastic swimbaits. I just may have time to whip up some flies next weekend. My 2nd checked bag is a cooler to haul home fish. :biggrin1:

·
Registered
24,568 Posts

OK its official lol I HATE YOU!!!...way kewl...

it also seems appropriate that Vinnie sleeps with the fish!...coordinates please!...I can PM you my cell phone number...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK its official lol I HATE YOU!!!...way kewl...

it also seems appropriate that Vinnie sleeps with the fish!...coordinates please!...I can PM you my cell phone number...
The flats around Aransas Pass are all fishing well now. That being said it only gets better in Oct. when the reds run in schools and they start " tailing "..

The water down here is much cleaner the that of north Tx. and great site fishin opps. Been seein alot of singles and doubles while poling around. When I spot a fish try to put the fly 6-10' ahead in it's path -- most the time they will turn and eat. Time to go fishin.. Later

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What an awesome day on the flats. Blue skys,80*,gentle breeze and happy reds near perfect conditions for site casting. No sooner started poling when spotted 3 reds coming straight at me at 60'. Layed the deceiver 10' in front and stripped-- fish turns and eats heads for Mexico solid 25" red.

The next 4 hrs. gave my sore shoulders with 11 reds and 3 speckled trout. My Okie bud had the same results. He runs a Solo Skiff which is a kayak on steroids-- the ultimate platform for flats fishing. Cheers

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts