Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad, my friend, and I got to the gates before they opened, and were the 2nd or 3rd group fishing on Mary's Lake. My friend and I each through out stink bait on the bottom and began working the weedlines with tubes while my dad tried for bass on his fly rod. Right off the bat my bottom rig went crazy, but to my surprise, I reeled in a little bass. I take back the comment I made in a report about RMA saying bass wouldn't eat stink bait. The bass had hardly any color, and couldn't have been over 10 inches. He also had an ulser on his tail. My dad caught two bass on a green tube. Both of those were around 10 inches. Then, my bottom rig went crazy and I could tell it was a cat when I picked the rod up. I got him in and released him easily after the picture. A circle hook without a barb makes for quick, stress-free C&R. All of the above happened before 9:00. We were too lazy and hot to walk up to Ladora, so we hiked around Mary's for awhile. My friend finally got a medium sized bass on a crawdad imitation. My dad and I each got one more. One was on a Senko, and one was on a black tube.

The catfish was nice, but the bass were all off color. They almost looked grey, I should have taken a picture. The big ones don't bite anymore, and the little ones don't look healthy. Perhaps they don't have enough food in there. Maybe there are too many fish stocked to try to keep catch rates up, and that is making it hard for the fish to find food. Your guess is as good as mine.

Also, my buddy who only got one fish is a great fisherman, but he was learning how to use a baitcaster he bought, and we all know how frustrating that can be.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
The water clarity can make the bass color change, along with alot of other things. Thats a nice looking cat and good report.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i seen ya there this morning mustang .....good job on the cat....I was the first in line with my wifes little blue car ....I should have said hi!!!I had a wicked hang over ....guiness is great until you have to many

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ive caught a few big bass at mary late in the season ..for me the key has always been to slowdown ...If im using a jig and pig in fall sometimes Im fishing so slow one cast will take 5 mins to bring in ......Tell your buddy to bring his baitcaster and only his baitcaster with him for two weeks or three weeks ...after that he will be able to use it without a problem ....the thing that messes up alot of people with fly fishing and using a baitcaster is they bring another option ......if your having a hard time learning and have another way to fish your more comfortable with right next to you ...your gonna switch ....if that is the only chance you have at catching fish is that baitcaster or fly rod .....you'll teach yourself !!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha make sure he brings an extra roll of fishing line so he can just cut the birdsnests out, its alot faster then trying to untangle some of them.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
From a very experienced rat's-nest-getter-outer, most tangles can be undone in only two steps:

1) Pluck out the line that is over a loop and pull it backwards in the spool
2) Pull line slowly forward and then go to step 1 and repeat ;D

I must have a lot of patience because I have only had to cut the line off in one case (and that's out of hundreds of rat's nests ;)).

Good luck.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remeber when I first started using baitcasters I spooled it with spider wire ....tow casts awful backlash.....first thing I did was try to pull it out ...it tightend ..long story short 15bucks down the tubes and an hour cutting line off

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That'sa mighty nice cat! Good eatin' that size! What sort of stink bait did ya catch him on? I also have problems with bird's nests. About 1 in 5 casts end up that way.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
heres a bass I caught in muddy water ....im not sure why but most muddy water bass are very light in color ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts