Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious...Has anyone fished these lakes? I know you have to attend an orientation before being allowed to fish, and only 60 are allowed in on weekends. So, if there is not a lot of pressure, I would think the fishing might be good.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
From what ive been told it has some great fishing. I was signed up to take the class last year but never got a chance to go. Im planing on this year though.

-Jay

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe some from this group should go on the same weekend. A chance to meet in person while catching bass at a lake without crowds....

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Where's this at?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the DOW web site:

Public fishing at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal will begin April 16 and end Oct. 9 this year. Reservations are not required but fishing will be limited to 60 anglers on a first come-first served basis and all must attend an orientation session. Normal fishing hours are from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays only. Evening fishing, until sunset, will be allowed on the first Saturday and third Sunday of each month.

Damn. No early fishing.

·
Registered
440 Posts
A. There is a $3.00 fee

B. All fishing is CATCH & RELEASE

C. ALL BARBED HOOKS must have barb CRUSHED down/ filed off

D. Artificial lures. Power Bait / stink bait is legal, but with barbs off hook, and all your fish released anyway.

What you catch are PIKE mostly, some large bass, some catfish.

I suggest, for heaven's sakes, bring a NET. I'm tired of seeing fish battered out there.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I fished it last year...it gets crowded, buts its catch and release at least so the fish are still in there. i saw some big pike and bass, but my buddy only managed one hook up late in the morning on a bunney leech. its good wading, and the backside of the larger pond has some good bass cover. get there early, and bring some waders. once you take the class you are covered for the rest of the year, so the next time you go out you can get on the water before all the "non graduates". you might have to sign up for the class, so check into it before you go out there. the class is a quick one, maybe 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I learned to fish at the arsenal. That is before it became a wildlife refuge. My Ol' man worked there for 20+ years and used to take me all the time. Believe it or not, they used to have trout in there. I used to catch bass, crappie, bluegills, pike, catfish, and bull snakes!!! There are some lunkers in there. This was over 15 years ago though. I live a block away still so I think I will check it out this year.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts