Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i fished the arsenal today from about 8 to 12, i caught 3 pike not normal for me i usually catch more , i fished by the pump house on the dam , i helped a guy i was fishing with land a nice 36 and 1/8 inch pike long fat body and big head, healthy fish ;D, i also went down to the bottom pond and caught some very impressive bluegill on a fly, i was sight fishing and nailed um , they were about 10 to 12 inches, i sent some pics to epic of a pike and bass i caught at lake lodara so hopefully they will be posted soon

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I havent recieved the email yet or I'd have posted them for you. Just letting you know I'm not holding out on you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This will be my 3rd year fishing the RMA. The things I have witnessed this year may keep me from going back. People casting right over the top of me, kid peeing in the water (with his Father right there watching), folks hauling in groceries and practically camping out on the shore and every time a "goober" hooks a nice one...the whooping and hollering starts.

I want folks to have fun fishing but please treat this place with a higher level of respect. You MUST understand this is a wildlife refuge with limited fishing access. Fishing here is a privilege...not a right. Do your best to keep your "intrusion" at a minimum. Otherwise everyone could lose the chance to fish here.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
AMEN ! 
Treat every fishing hole w/ respect. It's really a shame how people treat places. Big Thompson Ponds is one of my favorite places to fish (mainly because of it's closeness), but man... That place is a dump! Someone is nice enough to provide a porta potty, but I'll drive to a bathroom before I use it. Why ruin something you may need yourself someday!? The DOW was there about a month ago cleaning up all the trash. (Thank You!!!) I would have been embarrased to even be fishing there. (I wouldn't want them thinking I'm one of the ones that dissrespect a place that could be an nice fishing area.) However, I was walking out w/ a full safeway bag of trash that I had picked up from the small area I had been fishing at. I don't think there's a danger of them closing that like it sounds like there could be at the arsenal, but I could easily see them thinking it's a waste to try to manage it.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
that's all i was trying to get across to some people. but i guess that there are a few that really don't care about certain fisheries anyway since they erased my posts that basically were meant to try and educate certain people in the proper handling of fish and fisheries. nuff said, you can lead a horse to water but.....

·
Registered
440 Posts
There are some good comments here about respecting the fishermen and the waters; but there's also a fundamental necessity by the people running that show to uphold a standard and preserve the quality of the waters. Essentially, they don't demand much higher a standard than a bunch of "goobers" out there. My prediction is, based upon what I've seen, the lakes at the arsenal will be not much more than mud-holes in a couple years, with a few very educated and stressed out fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I still havent recieved the pictures, maybe my ISP filters aol addresses? I'll have to check I'll still post them if you send them.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Looks like there trying to get word to the public more than usuall which means more people. Hopefully they will police themselves better due to the volume. It would be a shame if they closed this place due to unethical practice.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
i think that it will only get worse as they are really understaffed out there this year and there used to be quite a few volunteers that used to watch the fisherman but i dont see them this year. i have only been checked once this year by a ranger to see if my hooks were pinched. in previous years there quite a bit more supervision..

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
your posts were erased because they were harassive towards me, im sorry if i dont handle fish the best, i try to get a pic and return them on their way, i understand your points, i wish more people would just respect eacother then take it to this, i like the arsenal alot and i respect it, this place is a great fishery lets not pick on people.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think that while lacking a bit in the tact department, Jamie has a valid point to make. I'm all for taking pictures of your catch, I do it myself on occasion. But I think if you're going to do that, you should come prepared to cause the fish as little trauma as possible.

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
hey jamie no offense but people can fish where they want who cares if its the same spot every week you need to mind ur own business by the way i think i saw u catch a minnow so i give u props

·
Registered
440 Posts
jamiehughes:

So what's your best guess about the staff out there and their policies?

Do you think there's much chance that any policies will change?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
He has sent me 1 picture so here it is:

Note: this is not me this is kokaneeking's bass. I wish I had caught it.

M

·
0 Posts
ju keep him or just carry him a long way to snap that? can u kleep fish there? not that i would, just wondering. i keep trying to get out there, but never have time saturday momrnings

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i took a quick pic mustang and then the arsenal staff wanted to take my picture so i let them , i had no reason to hurt the bass just a quck pic and weight measure and she was gone ;D

·
Registered
472 Posts
RMA regs...just the highlights

Catch and release only
barbless hooks required
30 minute orientation to get permit pass
fishing limited to 8 AM to 4 PM most days (see website for evening fishing)
Wading (only with waders) in Ladora allowed.
No wading in Lake Mary
Fishing Saturdays and Sundays only
No bait allowed.
Only one hook allowed unless a commerical lure (like rapalas)
No dogs
All anglers must check/sign in at vistor center before fishing.
3 dollar fee required.

I'm probably missing a few...there's a 3 page handout they give at orientation.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Who would have ever thought that a "superfund" cleanup site, sometimes referrred to the "most contaminated land" in America would have such great fishing?

Dan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts