Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the National Park today. Saw a nice spot for fishing. Calm deep water. I mean deep. It was along the creek right behind a beaver dam. Probably about 5 or 6 feet deep. Just glancing in i saw a few fish swimming. Nothing huge though. I was wondering what flies or lures people use here? I know only barbless hooks are allowed in the park.

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Call Kirk's {970-577-0790}. They'll tell you what flies tou use. For lures, I have luck w/ Thomas Ruff Riders, and Colorados. Some of my friends swear by Kastmasters. Golds and silvers and go small. Use a net, and be carefull releasing them. Those deep pools can hold some nice fish!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
HFC

The lure I have really good luck with in RMNP is a size 5 floating Rapala...I fish it upstream from the tail of the pool to the head of the pool...you can cast it close to snags and overhanging brush and let it float into place before starting your retrieve...a twitching lifelike retrieve usually works best...the browns and brookies love it...and I have caught brookies as small as 5 inches on one...if they can get it into their mouth and eat it they will...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
All have worked but I like the Rainbow Trout flavor...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts