Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anybody read the article today about the Shad Stocking? The DOW is netting adult Shad at Cherry Creek and transporting them to Chatfield, Jackson, Lonetree and North Sterling.

Shad start dropping their eggs when the water temp hits 70-75 degrees. So they are trying to get them stocked before they spawn. This should really help restore the prey/predator balance of those lakes?

Wyoming does this every year at Glendo and it is very effective.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That should only help put the forage back in some of those lakes... Once the shad get to be too big, there not really food for the other fish anymore, but you need those large adults to get all the little ones going. Hopefully they won't get too many gamefish in the process.

They are obviously not the same type of shad that run up the rivers of the east coast and Oregon that produce such wonderful fishing in themselves..... What kind of shad are they? I fished them on the Columbia River in Oregon with Shad Darts and had a blast!!

Tim

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are Gizzard shad and with out them you really have no fishery! It is imperative that they get some forage in Chatfield to support the huge Walleye and Smallmouth population there! Shad probably make up 80% of the Wipers forage?

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Take some from Pueblo because they have ruined the fishing up there. There is way to many of them and once they spawn it slows the fishing down there. It is a catch 22. You need them to help support large fish but too many of them and you have large fish that are always full.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Sterling definitely needs it because the wipers I caught there a few days ago looked pretty sad. They were "paper" wipers. Lonetree too. I've seen some of the keeper size walleyes from there that looked like they've been on trimpspa for a while now. What causes these big shad die offs?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts