Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to ask the wife if I can have a ice setup for Christmas. Is there a combo out there that can handle all the species? From stockers to lakers. Any recommendations? Don't plan to get to crazy with ice gear like summer stuff so I'm looking to get one solid setup I can comfortably rely on in any condition.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I was shopping around and read a lot of suggestions. It seems the consensus was to find a rod with a sensitive tip and a good backbone for setting the hook. If you are fishing stockers you can always add a spring tip bobber to the end so you can detect the subtle nibbles.

The other thing to research is the reel. Look at the inline ice reels. They look like a fly reel. My buddy got an Eagle Claw inline ice reel that looks like carbon fiber, although I believe it's just some kind of plastic, at Cabela's for $30. His reel is really slick! No line twist and he can flip off the anti-reverse and "back reel" to drop his jig down the hole.

Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

eagle claw.jpg

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eagle-claw-in-line-ice-reel/1646820.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Deagle%252Bclaw%252Bice%252Breel%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=eagle+claw+ice+reel

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
BFLB, I have always used some of the same smaller reels that I use during softwater. This year I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Tickle Sticks with Wicked Ice Spinning reels. The combo ran under $80. Nice thing about the reel is it has a long stem handle that allows you to still where you gloves and not interfere while reeling in the big one.

Here's a link to their online store, but I bought mine here in the Springs at Colorado Tackle Pro:

http://www.13fishing.com/

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
I use my same Symetre 2500s and 3000s that I use open water. Usually have a spool of 6 lb trilene xl and a spool of 10lb braid for each. I prefer 32" rods in medium or medium heavy. Now this is for jigging- I use light or ultra-light rods for deadsticking.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I bought this combo

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Frabill-Ice-Hunter-Ice-Combo/productDetail/Ice-Fishing-Rods-Reels-and-Tipups/prod99990133408/cat114701

They had several different weights.. I believe I got medium heavy..good all around rod with a softish tip and enough back bone.. i love that rod..not really made for big lakers but for anything under 10lbs it's a great rod. The reel is fine too... I def prefer baitcasters for my fishing, but that particular rod has very nice action.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Go to Bps and buy one medium action for slimers,eyes,etc. Grab a medium heavy for lakers. Use your summer reels and go fish NOW!

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
I was shopping around and read a lot of suggestions. It seems the consensus was to find a rod with a sensitive tip and a good backbone for setting the hook. If you are fishing stockers you can always add a spring tip bobber to the end so you can detect the subtle nibbles.

The other thing to research is the reel. Look at the inline ice reels. They look like a fly reel. My buddy got an Eagle Claw inline ice reel that looks like carbon fiber, although I believe it's just some kind of plastic, at Cabela's for $30. His reel is really slick! No line twist and he can flip off the anti-reverse and "back reel" to drop his jig down the hole.

Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.

View attachment 19681

http://www.cabelas.com/product/eagle-claw-in-line-ice-reel/1646820.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Deagle%252Bclaw%252Bice%252Breel%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=eagle+claw+ice+reel
One trip to Evergreen and now your fielding ice tackle questions. :smile::smile: J/K

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
One trip to Evergreen and now your fielding ice tackle questions. :smile::smile: J/K
WHOA WHOA WHOA... TWO trips to Evergreen! lol

I just thought I'd provide a synopsis of the multitude of articles I've read trying to decide what ice combo I wanted for Christmas.

·
Registered
16,622 Posts
The only advantage I have heard of is that the line tends NOT to spin when you are jigging tiny jigs. I have been jigging stuff for 30 years and the fish dont seem to have a problem with my jigs spinning or not. My good reals with good drags and good line are perfect for ice fishing.

Kinda like JJ's in my book-

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Slayer,

If I'm understanding you correctly, you don't necessarily see the reduced line twist or "spinning" when jigging as an advantage and from what it sounds like the drags on the inline reels leave something to be desired. Is that right?

Therefore, if you have decent reels already there isn't a need to purchase an inline reel.

Playing devil's advocate here, it's not that the inline reels are crap, as long as they have a decent drag, it's simply that they aren't necessary if you already have a decent reel.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Most peeps fish 20' or less and I confident the little ice jig isn't pirouetting none stop because they used a spinning reel. If line twist is a problem fishing deeper then use a small barrel swivel. way back when I sight fished in a black hut at Antero I never remember the jig spinning. If ice fishing is really your thing and you want the new gadgets then heck buy some inline reels they will work fine for most fish under the ice except big slimers and lakers. I wouldnt trust the drag for those two.

By the way thats a big crew of little guys in your avatar pic.

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
By the way thats a big crew of little guys in your avatar pic.
Yes sir it is! They are 9, 7, 4, and 4 years old and we get out fishing at least twice a month. They like fishing and when they get bored they like being outside exploring nature. Last weekend was their first ice adventure and coincidentally the first time the ice scoop didn't make it back. I was kicking around the snow that had accumulated on the ice looking for it for about 15 minutes. When we got home I got a confession from my 4 year old that, "maybe the ice scoop fell through the hole when I was scooping the slush!" At least it wasn't the fish finder.

Back on topic, I did not purchase an inline reel but thought if you're already going to buy a reel specifically for ice fishing it was quite inexpensive ($22 for the Eagle Claw) and seemed pretty neat and different and possibly had a few little advantages.

But it seems the consensus is that if you're going to fish for lakers there are better options.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
My boys when they where little loved ice fishing if they got to miss school. Funny thing is they always passed on saturday trips :smile:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts