Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone. I am new here (see my thread in off topic) and am just getting back into fishing (been since i was a child that i really fished). I am in need of a rod and reel so that i may begin my journies as a born again fisherman! I need some advise on what is good but not too costly.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Shakespeare Agility (better than an Ulgly Stik IMO). 6.6" light-medium wt.
Mitchel spinnig reels
Zebco microlights are good too
4-6 lb test line

Bass Pro has their own line of gear too. From what I hear its cheap and quality too.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
i don't know where you live so i will give general advice. your best bet would be go to gander mt or sportsmans whse. look at the combos that they have set up, and talk to the people at the fishing counter and git their advice. it helps to know what kind of fishing you intend to do, and where you want to go. also try to have a price range for them to work with. your question is very general and hard to recomend anything with out knowing more details

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
My advice is to buy the best gear you can afford the first time. You should talk to some guys at the store about what kind of fishing you plan on doing since that really determines a lot of things such as the action you need on the rod and the gear ratios you need on the reel.

My other advice is to buy stuff that has a good warranty. I know bass pro returns almost anything that is theirs. My brother broke the tip off of his White River Fly rod on Thanksgiving day...the rod was over a year old and when he took it back to Bass Pro they gave him a new one. I think Shimano also has a pretty aggressive warranty.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Buy a graphite rod, Bass Pro Shops GS (graphite series) $30 great rod/warranty. Then buy the best Shimano reel you can afford, even their 30-$40 reels are great and once again great warranty!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i realize i was very general, my bad. mainly casting with it. nothing fancy as most of my fishing will prolly be from a shoreline until i get a boat. for my honeymoon we are going to granby. would like to be under $100. thanks

·
Registered
315 Posts
Dick's Sportinggoods had some good sales when I was there last Saturday. I would also drop by Sportsmans and talk to someone in the fishing department.

For a cheap set up I have found Quantum to be the best. I still have a $30 rod and reel combo that I bought a few years ago on a road trip. I still use it as my 2nd rod.

I also found a Pflueger with an IM6 rod for $40 that looked like a good value at Sports Authority.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I LOVE my new Berkley lightning. Only costs like $24.00. Any good spinning reel in the $30-50 range should get you back on your feet. Or id go with a Gander series. Go see Don or Andy at the Aurora Gander. They'll take your money eeeeerrrrrr help you out :) :)
[me=JAY] [/me]

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I recommend a 7 foot medium action rod with a fast tip. Can jig with it, toss jerkbaits and soft plastics. Id say 90% of my fish come off this setup.

If you are chasing lakers, you are going to need some bigger wood however... ;D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Bass pro shop has a supreme ultra light on sale 40 bucks get some fire line 13bucks 8pound 3 dia. you can have fun with small blue gills and still a very nice size bass/northern with this setup just have them show you how to set up the drag on and you will be set!! that is until you get hooked and have to get more stuff good luck and just have fun!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i have got a pretty good idea what to look for. one thing though only one of you mentioned and i would like a little more input on is rod length.

·
Registered
577 Posts
DgtlShadow said:
so i have got a pretty good idea what to look for. one thing though only one of you mentioned and i would like a little more input on is rod length.
For pond fishing I would suggest going with 6'6" as the longest. 6' may be best as you have to consider the growth around ponds when trying to cast. There isn't much around the water right now but wait a few weeks and all the new growth will begin to be an issue. I would also suggest a spinning reel and like so many say Shimano would be my choice. The spinning reel is so much easier when casting around the same growth I mention above.

·
Registered
76 Posts
YEAH txt has that right the rod reel I use Is 4 6 ultra light spinning reel they are the easiest to use and learn on I use the small setup for trail blazin its great for tight cover. My setup is an Quantum xtralite with a quantum cat. kti 10 IMO the best for around here go to basspro and get that supreme ultra light setup let me check I think it has 8 ball beaings with a im8 rod for 40 bucks you cant beat that

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its called the micro light supreme 39.98 cant be beat check it out baspro.com rod and reel combos I wood buy a new one if I did'nt have three ultra lite setups now and i still might buy 1

·
Registered
244 Posts
I second Jay's comments about the Gander Mtn (Guide Series) reels. They are made by Pfleuger for Gander Mtn and if you experience any issues Gander Mtn will replace the reel instead of having to send it to Pfleuger. $25 gets you into decent reel with an extra spool. I would recommend an Ugly Stick rod. I have two, one ultra light that is 20 years old and still going strong (despite being closed in my tailgate last summer) and a new medium Ugly Stick that I bought with my Guide Series reel a few weeks ago. This reel and rod will cost you about $60 with tax.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
I just picked up an ultralight Ugly Stick with an Abu Garcia (FOR LIFE!) Cardinal 100 reel for around $60.00 at Gander. The reel was more expensive than the rod but what a great little setup.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts