Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys like to use for rod holders. I haven't had much luck with anything yet. Any ideas on a hot set up?

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
we use the plastic ones that clip on the top of a bucket and set the bucket in between us in the shelter, works like a champ, the only drawback is when grabbing your pole to set the hook, if you have the pole slid to far back in the holder you end up jerking the holder off of the edge of the bucket and with 4 holes drilled in front of you,you know where the holder is gonna go, so i always keep a good supply on hand.

·
Registered
633 Posts
The plastic ones are my choice as well. Simple and very effective! I even cut a couple openings in the front lip of my Trap to put a couple on each side of my seat. They are VERY handy.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I make them to my liking using PVC pipe and fittings. I don't glue every joint, so I can rotate pieces around inside fittings and compact them flat for storage and carry out.

Here's a web page that has some pictures of a couple of my rod holders in different configurations. The commentary on the website it quite glowing, but I can't take credit for being original in using PVC for rod holders.

http://fishinsecrets.com/fishinsecretswebsite_026.htm

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have the goos old fashioned bent wire ones...been fisin with em for fifteen years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've been using a rod holder called the Guardian for the last 3 years.  I really like them for the dead stick rod because you can ty-wrap your rod to the holder.  When a big fish hits the rod tip goes down the hole and the base of the rod holder keeps it from going through.  The whole thing flips 180 degrees and the rod tip ends up under the ice so the fish can pull drag without your line draging on the edge of the ice.  It has saved me from loosing a couple of rods a year and so far I've never lost a fish.

They are for sale at one of the big Sporting Goods stores around town.  I think I saw them at Sportsmans Warehouse.

http://www.icefishingaccessories.com/

·
Registered
935 Posts
Hey, the Guardian is cool.  It looks and works just like one of the holders I made from scrap PVC. The rod locks into the holder and becomes integral, and the front piece is adjustable to change the angle of the rod over the hole. I set it up to fold flat for storage, but the guardian looks like it would store even smaller. Nice design.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LazyDave said:
I've been using a rod holder called the Guardian for the last 3 years.  I really like them for the dead stick rod because you can ty-wrap your rod to the holder.  When a big fish hits the rod tip goes down the hole and the base of the rod holder keeps it from going through.  The whole thing flips 180 degrees and the rod tip ends up under the ice so the fish can pull drag without your line draging on the edge of the ice.  It has saved me from loosing a couple of rods a year and so far I've never lost a fish.

They are for sale at one of the big Sporting Goods stores around town.  I think I saw them at Sportsmans Warehouse.

http://www.icefishingaccessories.com/
I don't know what they are charging for them in the big stores, but I just bought two of them this morning at Absolute Angler in Arvada for 5 bucks apiece.
Pretty cheap insurance IMO.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts